• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

new shuttle ak31

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
Does version 3.1 also need voltage mod?

Woo hoo, my first post! :)

Does anybody know if the now famous voltage mod is needed on the version 3.1 revision of the shuttle ak31? I'm getting a one (should be arriving any day now) and I plan to see how far I can push an L1 unlocked xp1800+ with it. So, I figure I'll need the extra voltage sooner or later.

Thanks,
K1

Re: Does version 3.1 also need voltage mod?

Kosmic1 said:
Woo hoo, my first post! :)

Does anybody know if the now famous voltage mod is needed on the version 3.1 revision of the shuttle ak31? I'm getting a one (should be arriving any day now) and I plan to see how far I can push an L1 unlocked xp1800+ with it. So, I figure I'll need the extra voltage sooner or later.

Thanks,
K1

Welcome to the Forums Kosmic1!

Yes, if you want to go over 1.85V, you will need to do the mod.

Here's a link to one for that mobo that I wrote.

If you need any help, give me a shout I'm always happy to help!

:)

Doc

AK31 FOR EVER :)

I own my AK31 Rev 3.1 over 2 months and i'm very pleased.
STABLE as the EVEREST :) and I can work with my GF4 MX460 when the 70% of the mobos cannot work with it specially those which use INTELL chipsets :)

Thank you Doctor, and thank you Larry. Doctor let me know about Larry making the voltage mod. I bought one and set it loose on a friend's system. The kit looks nicely done, all heatshrinked. First we tried grounding it against the CDROM, but even after turning it quite a few times, nothing happened. So I yanked it out and checked it with my multimeter. Damn, it took a lot of turns... guess that's better for safety. Anyways, put it back in his system, but this time grounding it out against a motherboard mount. Probably didn't make a difference... anyways had to turn the screw about 20 times, but then the voltage started rising!!! It goes up pretty gradually, making it easy to fine tune. We set the default to around 2.00 and was able to clock his Athlon XP 1600+ to around 2100+ speeds with +.025v. His CPU is still locked, so we're running it at the maximum FSB of 166MHz. Now he just needs a better HSF than a Volcano 7.

Hey, question for all of you "in the know." Does this voltage mod work on all motherboards using the HIP6301 chip? I think my MSI 645 Pro motherboard has one of these chips. If so, then I can snag another kit (if Larry makes more) and push my P4 1.6A some more. I already have done the wire trick on it, and think I still need more vcore.

Back