• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

New Thermalright P4 heatsink!

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Pentagram

Registered
I just found this preview of the successor of the SP-94 heatsink. This thing is huge, is made of Alu, has 5 heatpipes and works with 120mm fans :attn: Looks like Thermalright has another winner on their hands.
I'm curious if they will make a socket A version too.

but aluminium?? i want one that big made of copper! ;)
looks awesome - we'll have to wait and see how it does properly against the sp94 and what price it is....

Vrykyl said:
but aluminium?? i want one that big made of copper! ;)
looks awesome - we'll have to wait and see how it does properly against the sp94 and what price it is....
I'd imagine that if it were copper it would be really heavy.

But will see if the TR engineers can deliver another winner.

Yeah that was my first reaction to :D My guess is that it would be to heavy in copper especially as it uses the stock intel retention mechanism.

Yea I'd say the boards it will fit are going to be very limited. The only thing saving it would be the raised base. If they work it right it will be high enough to fit over caps and things like that. I sure hope they figure a way to make one for AMD as well. :)

Attachments

• heatsink2_lg.jpg
    heatsink2_lg.jpg
    36.3 KB · Views: 247
could you mount an sp94 on the cpu and then mount this new monster on top :D ?? thatd be one uber heatsink!!!!!!

It would seem, from reading the preview, that this big hunk of Al would appeal to both the guy looking for max cooling on air, plus the guy wanting to keep the noise down by running fans a slow speeds. First impression was good. It is big and that might limit its use to a few select boards, although, I bet ThermalRight took note of the boards being used by the people maxing their systems and will make sure it fits these.

On a related note...this might explain some of those great sales on SP-94 & SLK 947U(s) taking place lately at svc.com, you think? Out with the old, in with the new.

wow.. thats actually kind of smart of them.
increase surface area with out going over the max weight, seeing how aluminum is so much lighter then copper. Its just in time for the new EE cpus that put out a crap load of heat. I like it.

My goodness that's a huge mother.

How about the actual torque loads on the mainboard? Adding a 38mm heavy Delta would kick butt for cooling but there will be stress on the board too.

Probably works quite nicely. MOAH.

Yeah man! As soon as it becomes available its going in my rig! They were vague in the preview as to if it is better than the Hyper 6 CoolerMaster HSF...but they did say it beat the SP-94...but I wonder by how much? 1-2c?

This thing would look GREAT topped with yet another EVERCOOL 120mm!

But what about the Northbridge heat sink? Would it be cooled by the same fan?

so if thats the new successor of the sp94 the what the hell is the "sp98" that came written on the side of my sp94 box????

There is no way your going to get an air cooled NB HS on an ABit at least not one of the better ones any way. But then again with just a passive HS with that big Delta hanging over it Blasting the entire area I would think that would be enough to cool it. Furthermore I would be afraid that the blow off from that Big Delta may actually overpower and thereby over rev the stock NB cooler Fan. Maybe TR could sell it as a package deal and include a custom passive NB HS with it to handle the problem.

Back