• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

New Wifi router

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

disk11

Hi all, looking for suggestions on a new WiFi router when I move. Off the top of my head, here's what will be on the wifi:

4 cell phones
2 iPads
3(?) PCs
Up to 5 consoles (3 PS3s maybe not all of them on, PS4, Wii U)
Whatever guests bring over

Also, as a geek I need the following features
802.11ac (probably standard feature for why I buy, but better to be sure)
5 ghz (again, just ticking all the boxes)
Static IP assignment (I have two servers)
Gigabit LAN ports (again for the servers, maybe for the unmanaged gig switch to get my PCs and PS3 a wired connection)

If the stock router firmware is pretty solid with lots of options/tweaks, I won't care about flashing DDWRT/Tomato.

We game online, so making sure the signal and processing power is up to snuff is pretty important.

Some quick research suggest the Netgear AC1900 and the higher end Asuses are good choice, but more info is always a good thing.

My budget is fairly flexible, I'd rather get something fairly expensive and solid than waste time with a cheaper option that may cause headaches.

I personally own the netgear nighthawk ac1900 and its solid. When i researched this unit, i found a few reviews that mentioned to update the firmware out of the box because earlier versions were buggy. I updated mine when I first received the unit and I haven't had any hiccups.

I am pretty impressed with the wireless range of this router. The beamforming+ tech seems to be legit.

I had really great results with this TP-Link router
I have 2 PCs, one smart TV, 2 consoles and an iphone and the connection is fast and stable, the coverage is really great (the signal remains strong throughout the coverage area, doesn't dissipate although my house is pretty big).
It's dual band, 802.11ac, has VPN, QoS and so on.
You can also change the firmware to dd-wrt without problems and as for price, right now it is about 90$.

I had really great results with this TP-Link router
I have 2 PCs, one smart TV, 2 consoles and an iphone and the connection is fast and stable, the coverage is really great (the signal remains strong throughout the coverage area, doesn't dissipate although my house is pretty big).
It's dual band, 802.11ac, has VPN, QoS and so on.
You can also change the firmware to dd-wrt without problems and as for price, right now it is about 90$.
Thanks, I'm looking into new routers that support DD-WRT too.

Your house, does your wifi have to go through a few walls at all?
(Sorry disk11, for the slight thread jack.)

Back