• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

newbie needing advice on which chip to get

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

dhodson

Registered
i have an asus a7v133 rev104 and will be updating my bios to 109expert soon.
i have a 1ghz thunderbird that i oc to 1.15 by increasing the fsb to 115 and running the memory asynch at 153 or so cas 2-2-2 (the memory will do better than 160 cas 3-2-2 for certain if not more).
im ready to move up to something faster and wanted to switch out my cpu for either a 1600xp agoia (newegg gurantees this stepping) or 1700 thoroughbred.
i realize this is a gamble whether or not the cpu will work at all on my mb but was wondering which one people felt would be more likely to work or give me better performance.
i am considering unlocking this processor as long as the process isnt too difficult.
My other question is should i buy the retail for the heat sink and fan or should i buy them seperately and if so which ones. I want something that will work well but that will not be too loud. Im interested in results but not in having the fastest overclock on this site.
any assistance would be greatly appreciated

D

Last edited:
XP 1600+, don't unlock it. and go for as much FSB as you possibly can.

Will the A7V support the xp chip?
(I killed my A7V B4 I bought my xp)

That way you have the retail box 3 year warranty.
But if you are going to upgrade that mobo......
that's a different story.

Just my .02

if anything the 1600 has a better chance. i think the tbred wont work on kt133 chipsets.check the asus section tho on that.

u might wanna consider a mobo replacement before a cpu replacement.the added ddr,and bandwith will be a great plus.
check newegg.com refurb section.always great buys in there.

They will work with the latest bios.When I used it I kept having issues installing windows 2000 but came to find it was bad mem.Go figure.

i saw in another post that the 1800 tbred will have a better stepping is that true?

D

Some peeps report from the newegg reviews that they were able to hit 2ghz just by upping the multiplier to 15(rock solid). Its starting to sound good. They may just be 2400+'s underclocked.

does anyone know how high i can set the modifier on my asusa7v133 if i update the bios to 109expert

D

dhodson said:
does anyone know how high i can set the modifier on my asusa7v133 if i update the bios to 109expert

D

12.5 X.

I got my Tbred 1700.

AXDA1700DLT3C
RIWGA0234GPMW

I didn't try it on my A7V133 as it's rev 1.04 and Tbred support starts with 1.05.

You should do well on the A7V133 as you have motherboard jumpers to select vcore.

I'm running on an Abit KR7A @ 10.0 X 166 = 1666MHz. With default of 1.5v the max my board will allow is 1.625. On an Epox 8KHA+ it does a little better all the way to 1.7v but you should go to 1.85v on your board. Dumb jumpers sometimes pay off.:)

Good luck

Harvey

Back