• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Newegg shoot themselves in the foot.. again.

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
They'll probably say the same thing Betty Crocker said when they ruined Potato Buds: "Well, our research shows people like it better this way."

Why do they keep trying this dumbed down layout when it gets 99% negative reactions every time...seriously, I want to know.

Probably trying to attract the Average Joe market and the "I see lots of numbers and get scared" crowd so they changed the specs layout and tried to make it look prettier.

Last edited:
heres the response....

Paul,

Thank you for contacting Newegg and offering your feedback to us. We appreciate you taking the time to do so. As you have been able to see, we are in the process of updating a number of our pages. This is still a work in progress and we are taking all customer feedback into consideration when looking for a finalized product. Your patience and understanding in this matter is greatly appreciated.

If you have any other questions or concerns, please let us know and we would be happy to assist you further.

"Well, our research shows people like it better this way." x2 (heh, just thought i would throw that in)

Thank You,
[email protected]

heres my rather harsh email....

your new{ongoing experiment)page layout sucks
why mess with a winning page layout? please bring back the old layout
why would i care to know how many people bought somthing after reading the item description?
i would rather read about the item
iam not alone in this
iam a carpenter and could do a better job
isent the job pool kinda big right now
get someone better
geez....

change sucks
but it prob gonna happen
wether we like it or not

I have been getting both formats the last week or two. Sometimes its the old way, sometimes its the new one. I prefer the old layout but the new one isnt terrible. Many times better than when they screwed with the advanced search defaults a while back, now that pissed me off :mad:

I submitted an email online:

"Why has the website layout changed? Product pages have begun to show less useful data at ease and burying the technical details. Your new website design is almost worse than Best Buy's at this point.

You've taken a useful design and put something flashier and more worthless in it's place. I shop here because of the selection of parts, the decent pricing, and the *ease of finding item information* If this site is changed into something flashy and pretty to look at - I'll spend my money elsewhere.

I don't need a Fisher-Price version of Newegg pages, I would like the usable and "standard" pages. It would seem I'm not alone, please see the threads @ OCForums (quite a bit of surfing traffic)

http://www.overclockers.com/forums/showthread.php?t=652182&page=2

http://www.overclockers.com/forums/showthread.php?t=649220

http://www.overclockers.com/forums/showthread.php?t=632468

I really don't want to shop elsewhere, please stop murdering your website."

I don't know. I like where they were going with it, but it definitely missed an important step. I like the no loading when switching between specs and reviews and whatnot. I don't like the actual layout though.

WHY, Newegg, WHY.

Why put less information on the screen, why make the customer work for it.

Everything used to be accessible. I understand that there might be a need to reinvent sometimes, but why mess with the layout. Change out the graphics or something.

I would say that my resolution is higher than that of the average customer (1920x1200), and yet i'm not able to see half the information i was able to before. Maybe their web designers have their screens in portrait mode instead of landscape.

Newegg should do a public poll on the main page and see which layout is preferred, but who cares what the customer wants. If they want to keep this layout, at least let us pick which layout we want. Make a theme selection or something. Most forums let you choose the layout/theme, i'm sure with the amount of designers that newegg is paying to screw up the great layout that was in place, they can certainly figure out a way to do the same.

Last edited:
It's been in beta for a comment submission link at the bottom for months.
Every time i got it, i wrote a terrible, terrible comment.

I hate it.

Wow, this has really twisted a lot of people, LOL. I don't mind change, but I would like to see one consistent layout across all pages, doing it piecemeal comes off as unprofessional.

It's not so bad. I remember when facebook made a dramatic change to their layout a little over a year ago. I hated it at first, but now I can't even remember the old one. I'm sure we'll all get used to it in due time.

Marketing is a full time test mode. If Newegg sees a drop in sales that they believe is do to their site then they'll try something new.

Still adding in my /rant about the new layout. It's not that it's "different" it's that it's showing so little information in a flippin' huge screen area. Useless. :sigh:

/rant off

/cry

Back