• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

[News] OCZ bringing out new / affordable SSDs, yet again.

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
SSD 32GB

Ashura - that was my intent exactly. Someone early on had mentioned 32gb being overkill.

I would load the OS, plus service packs, plus KB security updates, any programs I regularly use (utorrent) on the SSD.

Any general storage (pictures,videos, downloaded programs, etc) would go on the large HDDs.

I was looking at SCSI but sheesh, why bother? :screwy:

These drives really interest me but I promised myself I wont jump till something drops to 100 bucks. 16gb would be a bit low for what I need but 32 would cut it for me. Looks like I still got at least 6 months to wait :(

A review's up:

OCZ's CORE series allows the modest consumer to experience top-tier performance and feature benefits of solid state technology without the serious set-back of premium cost. Since the CORE SSD product line extends to 120 GB, there's really no hold-back from taking on their new technology as a primary partition for your Operating System. With the sluggishness of Windows Vista on standard HDDs, perhaps an SSD is exactly what Microsoft's "O/S" needs to make it in today's world.

http://benchmarkreviews.com/index.p...sk=view&id=200&Itemid=60&limit=1&limitstart=7

not too shabby, particularly at their price point. I wouldn't mind seeing how a pair would look in raid 0.

I see lots of places selling (or sold out of) the 128GB and 64GB models. Has anyone seen the 32GB models out and about?

Let's look ou the price

Very interesting...... I was proned to buy my first Raptor, but now, i wanna taste that "fluid"kind of thing people are talking, breeze opening apps... :)

It looks the raid0 for those who can afford 2 disks will work like a charm!

Very nice upgrade for any pc that doesn't actually need a mobo/cpu/ram upgrade... :rolleyes:

Ahhh, let's continue posting prices here as they drop! SO everybody subscribed to the thread and interested will receive it!

I've got one of the 64s coming in tonight, the reviews seemed pretty thorough but if there's anything extra anyone here would like me to try out, I'm all for it. I know nothing about benching HDs. :p

was gonna get the velosirap HD but when this news leaked out I will end up getting one asap.
Most likely in a week when they get in stock here.

Wow, I just finished installing Vista and drivers and I'm already impressed. I have no benches for you but everything feels a lot snappier. Drivers were installed in seconds. The nvidia driver which usually takes the longest was done under 30 seconds. Installing firefox took less than 15 seconds. This is a much bigger difference than when I moved from a 7200rpm drive to a Raptor.

I've got one of the 64s coming in tonight, the reviews seemed pretty thorough but if there's anything extra anyone here would like me to try out, I'm all for it. I know nothing about benching HDs. :p

This snapier thing everyone is talking about is what i wan't to try!

Start here:
* DiskSpeed32 3.0.0.5
* HD Tach 3.0.4.0
* HD Tune 2.55

The bench results are usually a litle bit smaller than the maximum theoretical result... :soda:

Here are the last two you listed before I run off to work, let me know what the results mean? Also, if the results look off, is there anything I could've done wrong that might've compromised the tests?

hdtachzq4.jpg

hdtunexw6.jpg

Back