• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Next-Generation of Video Cards...

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
don't worry about PCI-Express. If you need to get a video card, go ahead and get one now. PCI-Express can not co-exist with AGP 8X on the same mobo. If you do plan to get a PCI-Express video card, you will have to change your mobo.

ATI and Nvidia will only go standard with PCI-X by the end of 2nd quarter. As for the next gen GPU, I will wait for reviews before I jump into any of them.

I agree with Overclocker550, it WILL be 150% increase. Hes right just do the math.

Here's my logic.

9600XT can oc ~ 600/700mgz

Current DDR2 can reach in excess of 1ghz.

So..... you're telling me that an:

700mhz ( clock ) ..... over 2x clock

1ghz (mem) ....over 2x mem

12 pipes ......1/3 increase

+PCIX + 5%

= 50% + 50% + 33% + 5% = 138% without OC

Wont reach over 150%:rolleyes:, I beg to differ, its gotta reach atleast 50% increase. OCing will take it into the 150% range. Not to mention that performance increases exponentially with increased pipelines

Overclocker550 said:

before you call me "aggroant" read what excelsior said. he has a valad point. going from 8 to 12 pipes at the same clocks would have a decent performance boost. 50% faster on paper, like 35% faster in real world. then factor in the higher core clocks and I would not be in the LEAST supprised if it does double a 9700 pro :D

1.) You quoted the wrong person.
2.) Aggorant is not a word

and basically, there's no sense in arguing about this, because like someone said, until someone actually gets one of these neither of us really have much to say. That'd be like fighting about how could the water in the pool is, just by looking at it. :)

🤝

bah ffs, why cant all the computer world just stop! everything as it is!!! nomore new products!!!!!!!
1min i buy an ati rad 9800 np
next min a f00kin xt is outtttttttttttt =[ its not fair, now pci express

i cant believe he is STILL spouting these blind speculations as fact! you have NO idea what the card is going to be clocked at, let alone how many pipes it will have. granted those are a good hypothesis, but they are not fact, and even if it is 12 pipes at 450, i still HIGHLY doubt it will be 100-150% faster. things just dont scale as well in the real world as they do on paper.

snyper1982 said:
i cant believe he is STILL spouting these blind speculations as fact! you have NO idea what the card is going to be clocked at, let alone how many pipes it will have. granted those are a good hypothesis, but they are not fact, and even if it is 12 pipes at 450, i still HIGHLY doubt it will be 100-150% faster. things just dont scale as well in the real world as they do on paper.

I totally agree. I have yet to see a computer component scale up to its paper specs. Even the technology nowadays was supposed to be like 50% or better than the previous technology. The day when companies release something that actually does what they say it will do, I will be shocked. Until then, companies and ppl speculate about technological gains of astronomical proportions.

As an example, back it the day 4X AGP was all the rage. When they started talking about 8X, it was speculated to be a what 20 - 25% increase in performance. When, it real life it is only about a 5% increase in performance.

Like it was said earlier, I won't believe any of these speculations until this card has been reviewed and released.

Unless you work for Nvidia or ATI and you work on these cores, then you these specs won't seem real to anyone.

Just my $0.02 cents about the specs of the next-gen cards.

i wouldnt hold my breathe on that one...
i heard something about it a long time ago, but then i thought it just died, cause i hadnt heard about it in so long.

I have to agree with Evnas here

He is usually pretty well informed. You cant figure out just by adding numbers how fast these cards are going to be. I thought i read somewhere that the PCIexpress version of ATI's core is going to be a r423 or something?

PCI-Ex can NOT be on the same board as AGP so please dont expect some sort of addapter for it. SIS is trying to Make one work, but with NO success so far. And dont worry about AGP. We will be able to get our shinny new r420 in AGP anyway. Until its absolutely nessisary to upgrade to PCIex im very content to leave my rig as is.

Also weather or not it matters, You better have a seriousely fast processor and ram to get that supposed 150% increase out of a r420 over a 9700pro. Your rig will make a difference.

Harry

Some pics of the New Deltachrome S8
dchrome1.jpg

dchrome2.jpg

dchrome3.jpg

dchrome4.jpg

dchrome5.jpg

dchrome6.jpg

at this point i dont trust any new tech till the specs come out, so that is what ill do with the new nv and ati cards. Is it really that hard to wait/?

If by 150% faster you mean,that i can pull my current video card out of my box,put this one in, and immediately get 150% more frames per second in whatever game i'm playing. Then you sir are full of ****. :)

NoPK!!!11 said:
bah ffs, why cant all the computer world just stop! everything as it is!!! nomore new products!!!!!!!
1min i buy an ati rad 9800 np
next min a f00kin xt is outtttttttttttt =[ its not fair, now pci express

dont you worry ;)

I have the same card as you (hercules9800np) and only a fool would buy a new one already - Im gona have it for like 2 - 3 years :rolleyes: its more than enough...

If that is the case, I should upgrade ASAP. Just look at the card in my sig. I can't even play games because of the SGRAM. Everything recognizes it, but nothing will play. I am looking to get either a R9600XT or R9800 Pro.

Darph said:
If by 150% faster you mean,that i can pull my current video card out of my box,put this one in, and immediately get 150% more frames per second in whatever game i'm playing. Then you sir are full of ****. :)

the double a 9700 pro speed is if your cpu isnt a bottleneck. also thats only for like 1600x1200 with full aa/af turned on. running 800x600 is not gonna stress a 9700 pro in the least so both will be nearly tied. also youd need an athlon64 at like 4GHz to reduce the bottleneck enough to gain double from an r420 over a 9700 pro. however we could be seeing a 50% increase pretty easy. perhaps 10k in 2003 with one of those r420s and like 13k from the best tweakers

you assume to much. im not saying it wont be twice as fast, but im not gonna go around posting a bunch of speculation about it either. and i will say, even if the card come at the specs you think it will 450 core 12 pipes, i still doubt it will ever reach twice the speed of a 9700. but who knows.

Since the title of the thread is, "Next-Generation of Video Cards...", the only thing we can really do is speculate. At least until we get ahold of some cold hard facts. Even then there is still speculation involved until someone gets their hands on the hardware and tests it out.

That aside, we can look to the past for help. Has there ever been a video card released that could outperform its predecessor by 100-150%? Is this even plausible to hope for? It certainly would be nice (drive down the prices of the "obsolete" hardware I prefer to purchase). If not, what were some of the biggest gains seen in the past?

I was just basing my guess off of current technology. Still however, you cant argue that a 9600XT with 8 pipes and 256-bit bus, wouldnt destroy a 9700. Its obvious that they can create such technology since its already in existance.

I mean hell, my 459mhz 9800np is almost 50% faster than a 9700. If they un crippled a 9600XT I honestly believe that it will be close to 100%. Not becuase of PCI-X but because of what we already know.

Remember what I origonally said. At stock it wil be about 50% better, but with the Low-k and .13nm, OCing will push it into the 100-150% range.

Just check out the 3dmark scores. All they are are the wave of what will come. Look at the scores ppl are getting with high clock 9800 on water. You cant tell me that it wont be atleast 50% faster, since available means already exist

Back