• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

O/C'ing the 5000 X2 Black Edition

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

wtfitslmiz

Registered
Hey all,

After recently building a Q6600 system that OC'ed to 3.2ghz stable, I decided to try the X2 AMD path. I recently purchased an AMD Athlon 5000+ X2 Black Edition. Stock clock rating is 2.6ghz and the chip comes with an unlocked multiplier. The current motherboard I'm using is an Abit AN52, and the memory is Patriot Viper Extreme DDR2800.

Here's my experience so far using a Zalman 9500s cooler and stock thermal paste:

Out of the box I was able to quickly change the multiplier from 13x to 15x, resulting in a clock speed of 3.0ghz. This was done on stock voltage.

Core temps are inaccurate so I had to go by Hmonitor readings for the actual CPU. Here are the resulting temps:

Idle: 35c
Load: 55c

This setup was 2-Thread Prime95 stable.

I wanted to try and get clock speeds a little higher, so I tried flipping the multiplier to 15.5 while keeping the FSB at 200. This resulted in a clock speed of 3.11ghz and was also 2-Thread Prime95 stable. V-core was increased a tad to 1.375. Temps are:

Idle: 37c
Load: 58c

This is as high as I was able to get my processor to go by increasing just the multiplier/fsb/v-core.

Here were my failed attempts (that all resulted in stable Windows boot-up's but failed Prime95).

Mhz-----Multi----FSB-----Vcore----------------------Prime95
3080-----14-----220-----1.40 / 1.425 / 1.45-----Instantly failed both threads.
3195-----15-----213-----1.40 / 1.425 / 1.45-----Failed thread 2, 4min in.
3210-----15-----214-----1.40 / 1.425 / 1.45-----Failed thread 2, 3min in.
3200-----16-----200-----1.40 / 1.425 / 1.45-----Failed thread 2, 3min in.

My ram is definitely a decent O/C'er, so the results that failed when increasing the FSB must mean my mobo (which isn't the best) can't cut it.

Any insight on what to try/change would be great.

Thanks for looking :)

Last edited:
Consider PSU and MOBO. The more noise that gets to the CPU through the power source the lower the OC threshold. A few boards out there have good regulation coupled with a PC-PNC, OCZ or Corsair PSU will make a diff. Biostars boards on the low end have been good like the 550 others you need the $100 plus boards. There are a few others in the sub 100 but I don't know of hand.

Drop the multi both cpu and HT and check that way what's the max HT your hardware can take.
My rams take 270 and the mobo and cpu works at 300 as well but that's pointless without running the ram at that speed.

Take into consideration that the threshold for that chip lies around 3.2Ghz.

I am currently building a new pc for a customer and was testing the X2 5000+ Brisbane FSB settings. The locked multiplier is 13, so i moved up the FSB in increments of 10 Mhz to 240mhz achieving 3.197Ghz on stock voltages, stock air cooler and locked multiplier. Try reducing your multiplier back down to 14 or 13 and adjust settings from there unless you reach ram limitations this may work. Im planning on testing the system more thoroughly tommorow to see if i can't break 3.2 Ghz with this chip.

Back