• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

OC 3570k temperatures - are these normal?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

ImaITMan

Hey guys,

I just installed a CM 212 Evo cooler and some noctua NH-1 TIM. I was already OC'd at 3.8 with the stock cooler. With the new gear installed I'm hitting around 69 with prime95. I then bumped the OC to 4.2 using stock voltage. Ran prime95 again and I'm hitting 73 max.

Is there anyone out there who might have a similar setup with similar TIM to let me know if these temps are good bad or in between. I'm not rookie to PC building, but things change so after seeing about 20 people apply TIM with their "proven" methods I figure that there's several different ways to apply it and as long as your temps line up with what's been achieved before then I guess you're doing it alright.

I should note that with the Noctua stuff the whole "rice grain" method doesn't work. When I noticed it was running hot (all this was done with stock cooler) I pull it off to reapply and notice that my special grain of rice that supposedly spreads just fine all over the cooler spread about 1/3 of the way around the cooler. So I just put a small pea size on there and noticed huge improvements. I used that same methodology when installing the EVO.

I don't understand why everyone who thinks they know everything about OC'ing and PCs in general don't make mention to the fact that different TIMs have different surface tensions based on the material. Basically some will spread more easily than others. The Noctua stuff I've noticed is pretty thick, but of course so is AS5 which noctua out performs by a longshot (my experience on 4-5 systems).

Anyway I'm happy with the temps, but I've always found it best to confer with peers and get some objective and constructive criticism.

Thanks in advance,
Ben

73c P95 load is perfectly normal. You are not going to get any better than that with air cooled.

the viscosity of the TIM really doesn't matter. There is PLENTY of clamping force to spread thin or viscous TIMs...

Temps are fine. :)

Thanks for the responses. I thought it was pretty good for a 30 dollar cooler.

Back