• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

OC i7 6700K

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

totte1015

Registered
Hello

I am trying to overclock my CPU via this guide: http://lifehacker.com/a-beginners-introduction-to-overclocking-your-intel-pr-5580998

I have only overclocked the CPU ratio two times, its stock at 40x, and its now at 42x

I use LinX to stress the CPU and with stock it gets to 70 celcius, and now with x42 it spikes directly up to 100 celcius (nothing happens with the computer itself but those temps are dangerous)

I have the be quiet! Pure Rock cooler, and just changed cooling paste, but still it gets this super hot...

Can anyone give me tips why this is happening? This overclock is nothing really, right? I mean, for those temp changes, I have not done really much to make those temps worth it?

My guess would be that all settings have been left on auto and the CPU is getting more voltage than it needs. Try setting a manual CPU core voltage of 1.3v and a mid range CPU LLC setting see if this still happens?
It would also help if we had more info such as a screen shot of HWMonitor Free version while the system is under load.

My guess would be that all settings have been left on auto and the CPU is getting more voltage than it needs. Try setting a manual CPU core voltage of 1.3v and a mid range CPU LLC setting see if this still happens?
It would also help if we had more info such as a screen shot of HWMonitor Free version while the system is under load.

According to HW I get as max to 1,418 V.

Here is a screenshot when i use LinX to stress CPU:
nJKtimX.png

You're right it is getting warm. Try 1.3v like I suggested and see if it still passes

At 4200MHz it shouldn't need more than ~1.25V and usually at 1.15-1.20V 6600/6700K is working stable.
I think you should see no more than 80*C at these settings.

Alright, here:

SZIGp81.jpg
Those are my settings, and im getting this temps while stressing via CPU Z
kwaKfVF.png

Is there anything more I should change? The temps are decent I guess, although with LinX I get spikes to 90 celcius, but it seems that LinX really pushes the CPU to the max?

As Woomack suggested you could try dropping the voltage further. You could also use AIDA64 stress test or even realbench. Aida64 will warm things up if usinf the only the FPU test but likely not as much as linx. Or in the end if you want much more speed invest in a better CPU cooler

I guess I can do the AIDA64 stress test for 10-15 mins, and if its no problem I turn the voltage down a bit?

I am just worried about IF the temps go up to ~90, is that dangerous? Will the computer shut off if things get out of hand so to say?

The CPU/board will throttle when the temps get too high. You should be fine. On top of that, you typically won't have that kind of load on the PC unless you have tasks such as F@H or video editing.
How is your case set up and how many fans do you have in it. Could be the cooler just needs more air

The CPU/board will throttle when the temps get too high. You should be fine. On top of that, you typically won't have that kind of load on the PC unless you have tasks such as F@H or video editing.
How is your case set up and how many fans do you have in it. Could be the cooler just needs more air

Alright

I have a NZXT H440W Silent Ultra, with
Front: 3x 120mm
Top: 1x 120mm
Back: 1x 140mm
Under: 1x From the PSU

Should be enough flow per se, and its not in a very closed in space really

You listed the fans, but not he direction. I assume you have front/sides as intake and top/rear =exhaust, yes?

Easy test for airflow is to remove the side panel and run the stress test again if the temps drop then you need to improve airflow. Also make sure the cooler fan is cycling up to full speed when the temps are that high

I just invested in a H115i watercooler for the heck of it, temps are extremley much better now.

My question is, when windows is supposed to load up and I get BSOD instead, is that the vcore that is set too low in pair with the Ratio?

I tried 46 ratio and 1,3 vcore, and it seems to not like it

Most likely that's the problem, try 1.35v and it will likely work
Good job on the better cooler

Hmm it seems to work per se, but after random times (so far two times on a few days) the system has BSOD with "IRQL_NOT_LESS_OR_EQUAL", but it never freaking generates the errorlog, just stuck on 0%

Is this the overclock?

Hmm, this is my results now

2NCAb6K.png

Its at 4,5Ghz right now

I did "accidently" put on TCU II in bios and it asked to restart computer, then itself changed vaules to offset and all kinds of stuff, changed it back but I dont know if it changed any other voltage value

Should I have it on manual or offset or adaptive?

(funny fact, theese temps are by me putting the absolute lowest fan speed on the pump and fans, its kinda awesome to get such good temps with zero sound)

Now I am getting a bit pissed

I have 44 ratio, and voltage set to 1,248, and sometimes during playing, the whole computer just freezes...

Do I need even higher voltage or is something else screwed?

Likely need a higher voltage.

To see if it is the overclock doing it, go back to stock (see post #16).

Back