• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

OC noob needs help

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

jorisje123456

http://i25.tinypic.com/idgkyh.jpg

Ok so if I try to apply this overclock (which isn't even an overclock, but my E8400 is running 333 fsb out the box) (save to CMOS etc.) my system shuts down, then 'restarts' (I hear the fans running for a few secs and it shuts down again, screen remains black), shuts down, then boots again after a few seconds with my overclock settings reset. Obviously I'm doing something wrong, but what? I'm completely new to this, rig is in sig.

:welcome: to the forums!

To answer your question: memory speeds are too high -- change it from Auto to 2.00B...

Yea figured it was something with the memory, just didn't know what lol. I'll try it in a bit and reply

edit: it worked! Thanks!

Last edited:
To be honest, you're going about it all wrong to begin with.

The best way to start this is to seperate your memory and CPU overclocking... Start by setting ALL the voltages to 100% stock, set your CPU multiplier to 6x and your memory ratio to something like 5:4, 2:3 or even 1:2 (you want it as high as is reasonably attainable)

Now begin turning up the FSB in small increments -- and no, going from 333 -> 375 is not a small increment ;) Test with MemTest86 as you go up until you find a place where the memory becomes unstable, then add memory voltages in small doses until it's stable again -- or until you need to start adjusting timings because the volts are getting to high. Then, again, start moving the FSB upwards. Eventually you'll find where your memory hits it's ceiling -- write all the speeds, timings and voltages down.

Then set the FSB back to stock, set the CPU multiplier to it's highest setting, disable C1E and EIST in the BIOS, set your memory multiplier to 2.00 (1:1), memory voltage to stock and loosen up the timings.

Now begin moving the FSB up and testing with Prime95 using the Small FFT torture test until you find CPU instability. When you find it, bump the CPU voltage by a tiny amount and continue testing. Eventually you'll find the ceiling of your CPU...

When done, find the best combination of CPU and MEM speeds that fit within the limits you discovered earlier. This isn't an hour-long process, this is something along the lines of a week long process. And why? Because otherwise in a few more weeks you'll start finding wierd lockups, freezes, hiccups, reboots, BSOD's and other issues that you might start blaming on drivers, Windows, games, et al.

An unstable overclock is pretty much worthless, and just because it passed a half-hour of a certain specific game isn't a proper stability test. It would behoove you to read the overclocking stickies that are all over this forum :)

Was planning on doing it that way but I wanted my CPU to at least run at stock speed for now :D

I have to wait for my AS5 to arive anyway, I really messed up on applying the thermal paste now (77 degrees load in coretemp o_O)

Do some reading on the E8400's, and you'll find that the temp sensors are pretty wacky from the factory. Go looking for a temp monitor utility named "RealTemp" and make sure to read the calibration instructions. If you follow them correctly, you can use the RealTemp tool to get a far more accurate temperature result than you currently have.

Calibration is only needed for idle temps, and still is as much of a guess as anyone could make. If the cooler is installed properly the idle temps are low, no need to worry about more then that. But I agree to use RealTemp, to monitor your load temps.

Back