• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

OCing probs

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

edwardaune

I have a 2800+ with a gig GA-7N400 Pro 2 rev1 and as of right now i have it oc'ed to 2.25Gig. 180x12.5=2250MHz. I have upped the vcore by 5%, on settting up from the default, just in case your not familiar with Gig boards. For some reason when I bump up the FSB by 1 to 181 my puter gets unstable. Do you think I should up the vcore more or what. At idle my temps are about 48-49C. Ive got a lot more juice left and I want to use it. NEED MORE POWER. Suggestions please. :rolleyes:

You're approaching the limits for your desktop Barton with your setup.

As for Vcore, those desktop Bartons have been known to need well over 1.8 volts for 2.3 GHz overclocks.

You forgot to list two important factors for your 'how high can I get' question, cooling and power supply brand. You should also list your RAM and say if you increased your Vdimm RAM voltage or not.

I have a Perfromance Pro Gold 450W PS, 2 X PC3200 256MB=512(duh). I have Vantec 7040 CPU heatsink and fan. 3x80mm Case fans. I have not increased the voltage on my ram. You say that I am approaching my limits, I don't necessarily dissagree but I do see a lot of specs with clock speeds higher than mine. I realize that I am air cooled but I have relatively low temp. I would think that I have quite a bit to go as far as oc'ing more. I dont know everything and I am always willing to hear more.

Mobile Bartons overclock 2.4 GHz to 2.7 GHz average lately.

Desktop Bartons have always overclocked 2.2 to 2.4 GHz average, although there are stories of some very recently manufactured desktops doing more.

If your CPU was made in 2003 or early 2004, you're looking at the 2.2 to 2.4 GHz average.

Go ahead increase the Vdimm RAM voltage, I run mine at the highest setting, then see what gradual Vcore increase can give you while watching your temperatures.

[185] FSB x 13 = 2405 MHz @ 1.80 Vcore with memory frequency at 100% [185 FSB] @ 2.90 Vdimm
Epox 8RDA+
Thermalright SLK-947U with variable speed 80x25mm Thermaltake Smart Fan 2
BFG GeForce4 Ti4200 8X 128MB; Antec SX-835II case ; 380W Antec TruePower TP380
Four 80x25mm Case Fans + 1 Variable speed 80x25mm Fan YS-Tech FD1281259B-2F

Pardon my ignorance but what is the diff. between the Barton and the mobile. And it sounds like your saying that I cant bump up the FSB anymore, is that correct? I am not sure of the brand of memory that I have. Will that affect bumping up the voltage to them? And how did you get your specs to show at the bottom of your post? Thank for all of your help so far.

I'm glad to share what I learned.

Certain places like newegg.com sell mobile CPUs for use in notebooks which require low powered, low voltage CPUs so that their batteries can last longer.

It turns out that specific 2400+, 2500+ and 2600+ Barton mobile CPUs are compatible with all the motherboards that are compatible with desktop Bartons.

We've discovered that mobile Bartons overclock further than desktop Bartons so since they're compatible wherever desktop Bartons are, we buy the mobiles and overclock them 100-500 MHz further than we could overclock desktop Bartons.

Your RAM is rated for 200 FSB but since your CPU is multiplier locked, the reason why you may not be able to increase your FSB is that you've reached your CPU MHz speed limit.

MHz speed = FSB x locked 12.5, in your case.

Increase RAM voltage and Vcore voltage to see if you can get a little bit more out of your setup.

AMD Athlon XP 2400+ mobile 35 watt AXMD 2400 FJQ4C
IQYHA 0402 SPMW
was found on CPU core.

3 x 256MB K-Byte PC2700 (SpecTek chip) @ 6 3 3 2.5
RAM specs, 6 3 3 2.5 is what I set it to in BIOS, my cheap RAM can't do 6 3 3 2

[185] FSB x 13 = 2405 MHz @ 1.80 Vcore with memory frequency at 100% [185 FSB] @ 2.90 Vdimm
My FSB, my multiplier, my Vcore in BIOS, memory Frequency in BIOS (should always be at 100%, it's set to Auto by default and it should be 100%), my Vdimm in BIOS

Epox 8RDA+
my mobo

Thermalright SLK-947U with variable speed 80x25mm Thermaltake Smart Fan 2
my cooling

BFG GeForce4 Ti4200 8X 128MB; Antec SX-835II case ; 380W Antec TruePower TP380
Four 80x25mm Case Fans + 1 Variable speed 80x25mm Fan YS-Tech FD1281259B-2F

Theres a bunch of difference between a mobile and desktop, Mobiles are made for laptops, and run lower vcores for longer battery life and are unlocked . They are the cream of the crop of Amd cpu's, and can handle more OC'ing than a desktop.
As far as system specs in posts, go to your user profile and put it in your signature.

Yeah sorry, Thanks Mr_Obvious, it's Profile > Edit Signature

Also

Then while you're there: Profile > Edit Options > Scroll down to 'Default Thread Subscription Mode' > Select No Email Notification > Scroll down > Save changes.

Now all your future thread activity as long as you're logged in is displayed at
http://www.ocforums.com/subscription.php?

which you should bookmark

thanks for all of your help. I am a little dissapointed that I cant oc what I have anymore, but I did sqeeze out enough power to rate it at a 3200 which means I saved $ instead of buying a upgraded processor. I guess its on to the 64 bit versions. again thanks

Do you guys think what I have configured is a pretty decent speed, for that capabilities that it has?

For an old desktop Barton, that's about right.

You're doing 2250 at what voltage and what cpu and case temperatures now?

If it passes stability tests, it's a nice overclock.

Watch you temps and go up to 1.8 or 1.9 volts, see what kind of gains you make, I usually ran all the CPUs I OCd at 1.8 or 1.85...

What benefit does it make does it make running at a higher voltage if I cant oc it anymore than it is?

You say you did 2250 at 1.7 volts but nowhere int he thread does it say that you tried increasing thevoiltage to 1.8 or 1.85 or 1.9 volts without being able to overclock higher...

Are you saying it won't budge at higher voltages?

Yes it has two settings higher (that I know of) Are you saying that I will be able to overclock more if I bump the volts up? Up to this point I have only gone up 5% on the vcore.

is your PCI/AGP bus locked? does that board lock them? if not thats probally why your having trouble with stability...

Back