• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

OCZ to make phase change units

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
WaTTz said:
Man, I hope they figure it out soon, cause I really really want one of these things !!!!

Well I would just like to inform everyone that the OCZ Phaser is now officially "Delayed" . So do not be expecting to be able to buy one for quite a while now.

Seems like me and the other skeptics on this board were right, OCZ seemed to have over-extended themselves on this product. But nothing like having everyone drooling over the vaporware for a while...

CoreGamer said:
If its such a problem, they should encase the whole thing in very strong styrofoam and maybe put some rubber in places to absorb shock, 20-40$ More for Shipping isnt as bad as 400 More for a Vapo

It would be the compressor inside the case that would need the extra shock absorbtion, and that would mean taking the case apart to remove this extra packaging for the end user, something potentialy cause problems for the manifacture (say some customers don't remove it and the compressor overheats)

And an official delay :(

I was hoping for people to find out just how silly (underpowered) a 1/6Hp SS DD would be, seems that won't happen for a while. :p

1/6hp thats more then half of what vapochills or prometeias are.
But they will probably be half the price.

the 1/6hp should be good for something that doesnt put out a lot of watts, like the yohan.
I wonder how it would handle some overclocked preslers.

Epox4life said:
I wonder how it would handle some overclocked preslers.

It wouldn't hold load on a OCed pressler or preschot IMHO..

And custom units run $500-600, hold load temps between - 40-60C and use 1/3-1/2 HP compressors, I wouldn't even consider a new vapochill or prometeia as logical option when you can get someone to build you a custom unit.

greenmaji said:
It wouldn't hold load on a OCed pressler or preschot IMHO..

And custom units run $500-600, hold load temps between - 40-60C and use 1/3-1/2 HP compressors, I wouldn't even consider a new vapochill or prometeia as logical option when you can get someone to build you a custom unit.

Who builds them here though? Ive asked a few places and no one gets back to me. Do i smell wierd?

X0d1@k said:
Who builds them here though? Ive asked a few places and no one gets back to me. Do i smell wierd?

Here, Like on this board? No-one yet that I know of.
I've PMED to a few people that would be capable, and they didn't think that there is enough intrest to make it worth there while (IE not enough REAL buyers) I think otherwise and I'm guessing you do to.

They thought that people would be more intrested in this 1/6hp $300 vaporware then a danfloss unit that actually does perform. I think I've got them thinking about it though ;)

btw. most custom builders need the $ before they start building the unit.

I would consider myself a real buyer, assumming the cost is not too extreme. But it is something I would like to do.

Has anyone compiled a list of parts, ie with good part numbers and everything you need to make a simple and decent phase change unit?

I can always have a case made at a local fab shop or mod a small computer case.

jeepguy_1980 said:
I would consider myself a real buyer, assumming the cost is not too extreme. But it is something I would like to do.

Has anyone compiled a list of parts, ie with good part numbers and everything you need to make a simple and decent phase change unit?

I can always have a case made at a local fab shop or mod a small computer case.

I posted the cost of a custom unit $500-600 (depending on the compressor used)

And I have not seen a compiled list of parts with part numbers (I'm assuming this hasn't been done from the fact that almost all the parts are interchangeabe with other like sized parts that serve the same function)

I would pay $500 or $600

and I could probably build one if I had directions that told me what to buy and how to build it and bought a case fabbed by someone else.

directions.. and stuff to buy..

http://www.xtremesystems.org/forums/showthread.php?t=34034
Refrigeration Basics 1 & 2 should help you out alot (the pictures are dead now if I remember right but there is a write up for all the stuff that had pictures so you should be fine. :) )

cold_ice's guide..
http://www.extremecooling.net/index/e107_plugins/content/content.php?content.38

and an ebay store that sells all the tools/parts/and well everything you could possibly need (and a bunch of stuff that you don't :) )
http://stores.ebay.com/Frosty-Freeze-A-C-Products-Company_W0QQcolZ2QQdirZ1QQfsubZQ2d33QQftidZ2QQtZkm

jeepguy_1980 said:
Cold_ice's guide is pretty awesome. Too bad he didn't enclose it and make it look pretty.

The guide was to just show you how to build a SS DD not how to make it pretty ;)
Just slide it into a big PC case :D

He builds benching cascades (and sells them) now if Im not mistaking :eek: (the price for one of those makes a custom SS DD look like pocket change)
I've seen a few of those.. mighty impressive looking but he still doesnt bother putting them in a case (there honking huge anyway.. lol)

The tools are mentioned and details on how to use them in the sticky I posted before.
http://www.vr-zone.com/?i=713&s=1

some off the top of my head you didn't mention..
things to go with the torch.. flux and brazing rods (15% silver rods (and correct flux) for the brass to steel braze for the flexable steel to the evap head)
other stuff..
pipe cutter
vacume pump (or search and find out how to substatue compressors for this) a good (5cfm 2stager) used one on ebay runs ~$100
gas for preasure testing and purging
swaging tool set and flaring if your going to use any flares

Last edited:
rhino56 said:
great links thanks greenmaji

No problem rhino :beer:

I saw that the small consensors are not sold by the e-bay seller..
Any of the smaller parts that are sort of custom for these types of builds you can get off Runmc at his online shop under-the-ice.. (and if he doesn't have something listed that you need you can contact him on Xtreemsystems or Teampuss though the privite messaging system or though the contact us link on the store's website)
http://www.under-the-ice.com/index.php?osCsid=df7a7bf2952df744d75fa5b2bccd6b0b

Back