• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

OCZ to make phase change units

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
greenmaji said:
No problem rhino :beer:

I saw that the small consensors are not sold by the e-bay seller..
Any of the smaller parts that are sort of custom for these types of builds you can get off Runmc at his online shop under-the-ice.. (and if he doesn't have something listed that you need you can contact him on Xtreemsystems or Teampuss though the privite messaging system or though the contact us link on the store's website)
http://www.under-the-ice.com/index.php?osCsid=df7a7bf2952df744d75fa5b2bccd6b0b

Cool, thanks.

jeepguy_1980 said:
Cool, thanks.

No problem..

And I've been looking for PC cases and once converted to BTX this one looks like a winner to me.. I check out pricegrabber before buying though :thup:
You can get it with black side panels as well :D

jeepguy_1980 said:
My mobo is ATX.

:rolleyes:
BTX is just the layout for the huge cooler.. It gives you tons of room in the bottom of the case (called inverted cases)
The sections of the case in the back are modular/can be moved.

That case works with E-ATX, ATX, m-ATX, BTX and m-BTX motherboards (and I don't think I've ever seen a m-BTX mobo lol) no matter how it's configured. The only thing I can think of is you might need to extend the cables on your PSU, but that doesnt sound like a difficult mod. to me.

If I go phase I have my case idea all set up. 2 midtowers connected side by side together. Cooling in one and everything else in another. I'll throw on some hinges for easy access.

z0n3 said:
If I go phase I have my case idea all set up. 2 midtowers connected side by side together. Cooling in one and everything else in another. I'll throw on some hinges for easy access.

What I was talking about was all in one case.. I dont know how to make two cases look better to be honest :confused:

moving the PSU unit down to the bottom of the case and the rest of it (mobo and fan units) up, its modular in design. and AR with shipping its about $134 for me.

to make a build something like the one illistrated (but that lian li is ~$250 just for the case)

Attachments

• CM.gif
    CM.gif
    41.5 KB · Views: 109
  • custom.gif
    custom.gif
    70.1 KB · Views: 116
I actually read all 11 pages, lol so much excitement in the beginning , then it all dies down. I had a few things I wanted to put out,

The compressor they originally pictured isnt that great, as you can tell by the original posted specs, -40 idle, -12 load, thats horrible, but if as intended, $300 bucks, heck, thats do-able at that price. Regassing it to r404 and cutting the cap tube some (or adding) could give you a lower "hold under load" temp, but given the size of the compressor, it wouldnt be much more, possibly -20, at a high heat temp off the compressor, which in turn would need faster fans to cool it off, otherwise it overloads itself and (im sure others have seen this) the compressor just cannot dissapate the heat load and starts to just get hotter.

As for the block, while chilly does have a good rep for making nice blocks, Ive always prefered Baker blocks, which I have on two of my units. Ive played around with a few of Chillys units back when I was with XR. As I said, great work, nothing negative to say about him :) Just a matter of preference on parts and design. ;)

The shipping excuse, is just that, an excuse, Ive had four units shipped to me , and Ive shipped those out and recieved em back. I sent my mach I to Bowman in the east coast, and he sent it back regassed and retuned. I bought my mach II gt from Jinu, and shipped that to a buddy to mess with in New York, and he shipped it back (using freekin pillows on each side in a standard cardboard box lol). My Vapo LS has survived three trips to PC Ice's place (an hour and thirty minute drive) in my trunk with my 15" speakers pounding away. All in all, they can handle some stress, they wouldnt need a pallet, Bowman shipped my unit back from the east coast all he had to do is remove the side panels and insert peanuts in the box, and zip tie two small pieces of wood to the bottom of th unit to prevent it from rolling onto its side, but it all fit into a nice little box, and arrived via UPS 3 day.

As for homemade units, when youve worked on phase change units for a while, you start to get really really picky on who takes it apart, and who gets to freak with your unit. PC Ice, and Jin, are both located in Southern California, an I have there contact information, they both build outstanding units, and are affordable, usually around $400 will get you a nice custom units, in a nice looking aluminum case.

Ill contact them on Monday, and see how their current workload is, and see if they will allow me to post an contact email for em.

Exempt said:
I actually read all 11 pages, lol so much excitement in the beginning , then it all dies down. I had a few things I wanted to put out,

The compressor they originally pictured isnt that great, as you can tell by the original posted specs, -40 idle, -12 load, thats horrible, but if as intended, $300 bucks, heck, thats do-able at that price. Regassing it to r404 and cutting the cap tube some (or adding) could give you a lower "hold under load" temp, but given the size of the compressor, it wouldnt be much more, possibly -20, at a high heat temp off the compressor, which in turn would need faster fans to cool it off, otherwise it overloads itself and (im sure others have seen this) the compressor just cannot dissapate the heat load and starts to just get hotter.

As for the block, while chilly does have a good rep for making nice blocks, Ive always prefered Baker blocks, which I have on two of my units. Ive played around with a few of Chillys units back when I was with XR. As I said, great work, nothing negative to say about him :) Just a matter of preference on parts and design. ;)

The shipping excuse, is just that, an excuse, Ive had four units shipped to me , and Ive shipped those out and recieved em back. I sent my mach I to Bowman in the east coast, and he sent it back regassed and retuned. I bought my mach II gt from Jinu, and shipped that to a buddy to mess with in New York, and he shipped it back (using freekin pillows on each side in a standard cardboard box lol). My Vapo LS has survived three trips to PC Ice's place (an hour and thirty minute drive) in my trunk with my 15" speakers pounding away. All in all, they can handle some stress, they wouldnt need a pallet, Bowman shipped my unit back from the east coast all he had to do is remove the side panels and insert peanuts in the box, and zip tie two small pieces of wood to the bottom of th unit to prevent it from rolling onto its side, but it all fit into a nice little box, and arrived via UPS 3 day.

As for homemade units, when youve worked on phase change units for a while, you start to get really really picky on who takes it apart, and who gets to freak with your unit. PC Ice, and Jin, are both located in Southern California, an I have there contact information, they both build outstanding units, and are affordable, usually around $400 will get you a nice custom units, in a nice looking aluminum case.

Ill contact them on Monday, and see how their current workload is, and see if they will allow me to post an contact email for em.

You can call me tomorrow too if you wish... I don't mind chatting with you... at all :)
Now, as for pricing, $400 will be nearly impossible on my end. I've limited my compressor selection to nice Danfoss NF9FX and my cost on it is already like $150+... (thing keeps going up with gas prices bleh). But I just can't get away from it's strong features, quietness and reliability and knowing I build my stuff with best things there are for quality works.
I guess $400 unit is possiblity with some random e-bay compressors, etc.... which is not what I choose to do :p
Reason OCZ can project their price as mentioned really is because it will be mass produced (I can probably get my part cost down a lot if i mass produce...), assembly probably will in in China to reduce cost even more (I myself would go somewhere else for mass production as long as quality can be achieved), and tuning will be just to be safe not fine tuned to nitty gritty to get the extra few c :p
last prototype they had had r507 in it I believe... the unit just wasn't tuned right I belive or tuned the way production would be instead of someone sitting down putting load on and watch for best temp with bit of juice each 30 min or so :p
I believe OCZ hasn't quite given up on the endeavour really... but product like this doesn't come out of no where especially if they plan to mass produce and invest A LOT of money to get that done.

I was looking at purchasing one. But the ect/vapo were out of the question as far as price. I was looking at a chilly1 unit but figued i'd wait till the ocz unit came out. Now with chilly1's problems and ocz on indefinite hold, i'm back to looking.

May not be a bad idea for a new thread or a post with a list of reputable builders and contact info.

I'd spend 600 for a kick @SS unit and support.

$600 is easy...keep your eyes peeled at the classies. Several have been sold for the $400 mark and below.

Darn, I was looking forward to this. Back to water cooling for me.

Gautam said:
$600 is easy...keep your eyes peeled at the classies. Several have been sold for the $400 mark and below.
The ones sold that low are missing something or need gassed.

so who are the ones that do custom work on here and how is one able to contact them? my only options are buying one from an online store costing at least $800 and up plus due to the fact all the stores i can find are in the US so i'd be paying an arm and a leg for duty as well. so i would love to be able to talk to the ones on here who make the best custom chillers, as for price since my buying it from a store would be around $1000 anything less then that spent on a custom chiller would be a great bonus. so maybe if someone who knows the people who make the custom units can ask them if i can be given thier emails or something that would be great. plz send me a pvt msg on here if its possible

Back