• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Old stereo

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Bensa

Has anyone seen a boom box or stereo big enough to fit a standard atx mobo in? I just realized how cool it would be for the normal buttons to be the power and restart, have a temp lcd, fans in the speakers (theres allready a filter there:D ).
The cd drive would be in the cd slot, but tilted inside. I probably could also find a way so the cd drive opens when you press the eject on the stereo, the cd drive will open (Im talking about those ones with the top loading cd).
Floppy drive in the tape slot, and I could just power the radio (if I kept it), from a modded 12v line.
Have a window on the top, and sides, maybe little ones in the front.

Not a bad idea :) Some of the cheaper stereos that have the tuner and amp and all that combined into 1 unit would be big enough I am sure. I haven't seen any big boom boxes lately but there used to be HUGE boom boxes in the 80s and you could probably still find one. That would be even cooler for a lan party than a stereo would hehe.

Man, my head is bursting with ideas, and I don't know why :p.
When, and if I do this, and also my can/peltier idea, I will make photo journals for both. I love having server space.

Edit: YYEEEESSSS, finally got my 3rd star. I posted a lot in the last week in hopes of getting it.

Congratz on the third star ;) A buddy of mine had an all integrated stereo in college that had a 5 disk carousel changer on top. It was probably the height of a midsized case, maybe a little shorter but it was was much wider(basically the width of most any other stereo). Something similar to this in size would work and the clear plastic hatch on top for the cd changer could be left in for a nice peak at the inner contents of your case ;)

I'm going down to the recycling center this weekend. I might get one for free, and then just strip it down. Worst case scenarion, I'll have to pay about 10€ for it.

I have an old Pioneer reciever (one of the first digitals) with a Tyan Tiger100 in it. The "FM" button fires it up, and the "AM" button is reset. Most of the green LEDs on the front are power indicators, and a row of red ones is HD activity.

It's not quite done - I still have to find an adapter for a laptop CDROM, and a good way to mount the HDs on end (getting really cramped). It also has a LCD/LED panel that I don't know how to work with, but would like to turn into a compunurse.

The PSU is covering both ISA slots, and one of the PCIs, but still has enough for a couple network cards. :D

I'll post a few pics when I get home tonight. :cool:

Damn, you got there first:mad:
Well, mine will be window and light modded, and its going to be my current rig:
P4 2.8c
Abit IS-7
1 gig mushkin pc3200
Gigabyte Radeon 9700 Pro
120gb seagate s-ata drive
dvd-drive
floppy
380w PSU

Well, here are some pics. It could use a lot more work, but all it was intended for was to hold the computer, and save me $30. :) So this is probably about where it'll stay. (with the exception of actually having HDs and CDROM)

High resolution:

Low resolution:

Sorry about the general fuzzyness of the pics - my camera gets pretty upset when used in low-light conditions with no tripod. (it's way too late to get all that crap out :D )

I'm going for a black oldschool 80's look. My start up sound will be "Somebodys watching me" by Michael Jackson.
I want one with the speakers and readers built into the same frame.

Ok, I'm heading to the recycling tommorow, and I'll start anothe topic with the name "Soundtastic Case". Hmmm, soundtastic. Like the name?
I'm hoping on getting a big whooping black case. I need the space since I'm using ATX standard parts, and want it to have windows, so it will have to look very nice.

Snakebyt2K said:

wasnt that Rockwell that sang that song?

isnt it pathetic that i knew that off the top of my head..what have i become?

Sadly, yes (to both questions :D). Its a cool song.

I started one of those mod diaries or something here.

Back