• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

OMG!! I found big fans!!!

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
hey cathar, how'd u shroud 2"x4" to your radiators?
i'm trying to make a shroud to fit the outlet of my blower, but my math isn't working right for some reason, it was alot easier working with a square shape on both sides with my box fan..

AFIsoldier said:
how much cfm would the 24v 85cfm blower do at 12v?

my guess would be about 40cfm
not that great, but i'm sure it would be more then my 110cfm box fan @ 5v and probably more quiet then it. thas why i'm getting it

u have to understand the significant of high pressure fans..
i'm using this blower to blow though my filter and radiator.
with my boxed fan, it can blow a nice 110cfm with no pressure, as soon as i put it on the radiator/filter it starts to feel like a regular 80mm case fan @ around 30cfm. Plus its 45dba which is REALLY annoying when everything else in ur case is less then 25dba.
with a high pressure fan, i can run it at 85cfm and expect atleast 60cfm coming out of not just the radiator, but more like my exhaust holes. even at 12v, i will expect atleast 30dba coming out of my radiator and be as quiet as my 21dba panaflos if not more.

AFIsoldier said:
i was thinking about using the 85cfm blower as an exhaust but...13 for a 40 cfm fan ain't worth it

I'd be curious to know why you seem to think that CFM ratings, published by various manufacturers, can be equilaterally compared.

blkgti said:

I'd be curious to know why you seem to think that CFM ratings, published by various manufacturers, can be equilaterally compared.
i'm sure manufac. ratings are not completly accurate, but i'm sure its over 10% inaccuracy. It seems like sound levels are usually more inaccurate then cfm levels these days. What u gotta make sure to look at is that some fans are rated at cfm at a certain pressure, for example.. 100cfm @ 0.001 pressure, while 120cfm at 0 pressure.
some retails don't know/don't care about these facts and post them as-is on their sites, thats why its good to refer to manfac websites for best info about each fan.

right now ANY fans in my case would do wonders...and a blower would look hightech and make me feel special..i guess i will just flip through the sight some more and finde some good fans...also are those 4 5/8 / 4 1/2 fans ame as 82mm or 120mm or what?

Korndog said:

i'm sure manufac. ratings are not completly accurate, but i'm sure its over 10% inaccuracy. It seems like sound levels are usually more inaccurate then cfm levels these days. What u gotta make sure to look at is that some fans are rated at cfm at a certain pressure, for example.. 100cfm @ 0.001 pressure, while 120cfm at 0 pressure.
some retails don't know/don't care about these facts and post them as-is on their sites, thats why its good to refer to manfac websites for best info about each fan.

That's an interesting point; I wasn't aware of the pressure factor, if you will. My question originated by having tried a lot of fans, and having found relatively little correlation between their published specs.

I completely agree with you regarding various dBA ratings. Before getting into the variance that can be produced by the placement of the SPL (sound pressure meter) alone, dBA - meaning, A-weighted - completely discounts low frequencies in its analysis. Too, dBA represents a fan's amplitude (ie. volume level) but does nothing to indicate the frequency at which that amplitude occurs. As a practical example, fans with high-amplitude frequency peaks - like the SF2 - tend to sound annoying.

That said, how one places the SPL meter can make or break the measurement. Basically, if the protocol is not kept absolutely constant, differences of mere centimeters in placement and/or angular variance of a degree or two can result in a multi-decibel increase/decrease in the end result.

afisoldier, 4 5/8 = 120mm, 4 1/2 is a little less then 120mm about 11 1/2 cm. 80mm fans are 3 1/8" fans i believe..
Putting a blower as in exahust fan is kind of hard with the size and all, the fan would have to be inside ur case to exaust, there's also the problem of dust, having negetive airpressure in ur case gets a lot of dust in unexpected places. there are computer designed blowers like the ones that fit on cpus (thermaltake makes'em) and slot blower fans which are quiet and small and push out a great deal of air, u may want to consider those if u don't want to hack away the metal on ur case.

blkgti said:

That's an interesting point; I wasn't aware of the pressure factor, if you will. My question originated by having tried a lot of fans, and having found relatively little correlation between their published specs.

I completely agree with you regarding various dBA ratings. Before getting into the variance that can be produced by the placement of the SPL (sound pressure meter) alone, dBA - meaning, A-weighted - completely discounts low frequencies in its analysis. Too, dBA represents a fan's amplitude (ie. volume level) but does nothing to indicate the frequency at which that amplitude occurs. As a practical example, fans with high-amplitude frequency peaks - like the SF2 - tend to sound annoying.

That said, how one places the SPL meter can make or break the measurement. Basically, if the protocol is not kept absolutely constant, differences of mere centimeters in placement and/or angular variance of a degree or two can result in a multi-decibel increase/decrease in the end result.

completely discounts low frequencies?? really?? i didn't know that..
u seem to know a lot about that stuff...

Okay, I ordered one of those squirrel cage fans, a 48V 240cfm Patriot, which I might add is almost silent and the perfect cfm at 12V for a backup unit on my radiator assembly, but my imagination took over my wallet when I bought one of those soda fountain refrigeration units, just to dissect and see what promise it held for extreme cooling. It was chocked full of accessories crucial to its original use and packed with injection molded insulation which took seval hours to chisel off, but underneath was a very nice, compact refrigeration unit.

The assembly with the compressor, cooling radiator and fan is a rectangular shape almost perfect for sitting a tower case upon. Reference the multimeter in the picture for an idea of the size.

refrig1.jpg

Notice the temperature :)

Coming out of the top is an interesting heat exchanger. It is a flexible/moldable large aluminum sheet with coolant channels molded into it.

refrig2.jpg

The entire aluminum sheet can be wrapped around something like a large water reservoir or more to my imagination, rolled up into a spiral which you could put a fan on one end of and blown through, the approaches are as limitless as your imagination.

I'm trying to envision putting the heat exchanger inside my case and sealing it up as best as possible, allowing the heat exchanger to cool the entire inside of my PC.

The compressor and fan assembly are amazingly quiet, even with the covers off. I'd say about as loud as my current water cooling setup with 4 case fans. I could quite easily hear my wife and daughter talking upstairs with it on. It doesn't draw a lot of current either.

I may experiment with it or throw it up in the classifieds. I'm pretty complacent with my current water cooling setup, yet it tickles my imagination.

Hoot

i was wondering if any of you bought that 85 cfm blower and have tried it out yet. im contiplating getting one and i would like to hear first hand how well it works

also, i found out the other day that you can run that 24v blower at 24v off an atx ps. just wire it up to the +12 and -12 leads on the atx connector and your good to go. you can also use the +12 -5 if you want something inbetween 12 and 24.

i tried it with a 24v comair blower i had laying around and it works great. at 12v it was too slow and when i put it on 24 it pushes some serious air (but is loud).

A cautionary word. The -12V and -5V rails are not rated for a lot of current, so be careful using them as a contributor of power to current hungy fans.

Hoot

Little off topic but still relates to fans.

Anyone ever see the pic of the guy who had an exhaust fan blowing out of his PC so strong that it almost blew out a candle 2 feet away?

Hoot said:
Okay, I ordered one of those squirrel cage fans, a 48V 240cfm Patriot, which I might add is almost silent and the perfect cfm at 12V...
This confuses me, because the only Patriots I can find are axial fans. Also, any noise/CFM comparisons you can make with more common fans would be welcome.

Back