• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

OMG!! I found big fans!!!

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
wanna_b_rich_13 said:
Little off topic but still relates to fans.

Anyone ever see the pic of the guy who had an exhaust fan blowing out of his PC so strong that it almost blew out a candle 2 feet away?

You mean this?

exhaust.jpg

That's me.

The full article is here

Hoot

Creater of the "Hoot Chute"

HammerSandwich said:

This confuses me, because the only Patriots I can find are axial fans. Also, any noise/CFM comparisons you can make with more common fans would be welcome.

My wording may have caused you confusion. I bought two fans. A Torin 24V squirrel cage that runs quiet yet strong at 12V and a 48V Patriot axial fan, which also runs quiet at 12V. It is rated at something like 240CFM at 48V. I put it on a 0-50V variable PSU and it's like a gale force wind both in blowing and sound! At 12V, its around 50-60CFM strong breeze but only a whisper sound.

Hoot

yeah, the -12 and -5v rails are rated for 1 amp each on my p.s.

anyone know about how much of that the mobo uses?

Hoot said:
A cautionary word. The -12V and -5V rails are not rated for a lot of current, so be careful using them as a contributor of power to current hungy fans.

Hoot
do you know wat the Db of the 120mm fans are? the sanyo denki 100CFM ones?

phiber said:

do you know wat the Db of the 120mm fans are? the sanyo denki 100CFM ones?

Actually, I have some of those Sanyo Denki 120s. At the full 12V, they're not quiet, but they're not obnoxious like the high output Deltas. They do put out a healthy airflow. If you have any Panaflo 120mm fans, the medium speed is the same loudness.

Hoot

1000CFM? You call that big? A few days ago i was shopping in the local surplus and found this bigass fan, its 24cm big, blows 8400CFM, uses 230volt and creates 70decibel noise:

bigass.JPG

I thougt it was nice for my watercooling-radiator, so the next thay I took an old P1 mobo and tried if the fan could bend it, but that fan actually broke the board!! So I left it there :p too dangerous for a PC!

Now, you need to find a bathroom fan speed control so that you can vary it to find a happy compromise between speed and noise. If you go that route, don't spare the money on a quality controller. The cheap ones can cause interference to radio and television reception or make the fan hum. Great Find!

Hoot

The Widow Maker said:
1000CFM? You call that big? A few days ago i was shopping in the local surplus and found this bigass fan, its 24cm big, blows 8400CFM, uses 230volt and creates 70decibel noise:

bigass.JPG

Talking about the best fans......
you gonna love these:D

lrg_rb211524_2.jpg

Last edited:
cstarritt said:
jesus, those are some moster turbofans, what plane is that?

Rolls Royce Turbo Fan RB211-524 for Boeing 747-400

I have something All in One Solutions: cooling processor, chipset, GPU and Southbridge all the same time. A pegasus engine for sea harrier.

lrg_pegasus_8.jpg

IMOG said:
If you mean this fan is the one you got, it's not a centrifugal blower which produces better pressure, its just an axial fan albeit apparently a well made one.

More like a mini box fan than a blower, hopefully the flow rate it creates against the radiator is good but the 80 cfm isn't real impressive considering it does it over an area like 6 inches square or so.

Of course, I'd take that over the fans typically used for rad cooling any day. :D

Don't hate me for being a semi-downer, I like the little details though.

hehe, that fan weighs 12 pounds

cstarritt said:
i was wondering if any of you bought that 85 cfm blower and have tried it out yet. im contiplating getting one and i would like to hear first hand how well it works

I just got the 85 cfm blower and I'm trying it out. As a comparision I've got a PAPST TYP 8112 G 80 mm fan. With both the fan and the blower running on 12 V the blower is a little quiter and moves at least 50% more air. I did this with both setting on a table, so pressure wasn't an issue. I'd assume that the blower will have an even bigger advantage when I get it in my computer.

I'm working on getting the blower working at 24 V. My power supply is marked at 0.8 A for the -12V line so I'm not going to use that. Instead I got a DC converter from Digikey. The converter is designed for 0.5 A, but I'm hoping it won't suffer too much with the 0.58 A the blower will try to draw.

I also folded the mounting holes over so it will fit in my case. The opening is now very close to 80x80 mm so I think it will work great on a heatsink. I havn't used it in my case at all yet, I've got to build a bracket of some sort first.

I want to know when someone figures out how to get that blower working at 24v, this is my new rad fan :D

great, i ordered one too.

that surplus site has powersupplies also, and i got a 2 amp 24v transformer for under ten bucks (like 8 if i remember right).

Keep in mind that if you want to make a simple 24VDC supply, with no regulation, which is adequate for fans, you don't use a 24VAC transformer. After rectifying 24VAC and filtering it, you wind up with 30-something volts DC. For a 24VDC supply, an 18VAC transformer is a better choice.

Hoot

Back