• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

OMG!! I found big fans!!!

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
So Korndog, you got a 24v transformer and used your computer's PSU to power the blower?

JoT said:
So Korndog, you got a 24v transformer and used your computer's PSU to power the blower?

actually i used my electric piano transformer (12v) and did +12 and +12 from my psu to get 24v (or 23.6 as my multimeter read it.) i was planning on used a relay i had laying around to have the transformer turn on at the same time as i boot up my computer, but with the results that i got, i'm more then satisfied. the blower at low speed is almost comparible to my box fan at full speed, except for the 20 extra dba :-/

I did post this accidently under water cooling, but I am going to attempt and definitely succeed with this blower inspiration on an sp-94 whenever i finally do build my system

thanks man, great creativity, and FINALLY IMPROVED SOUND!!

i got mine in today, and im so impressed with it i ordered a second blower. i cut out two peices of hardwood in a triangle shape that im gonna mount the two blowers to, the air comes out in such a way that mounting them at the angle im doing makes the air go straight down onto the HS (through a duct). so ill have high pressure, no dead zone,and 170 CFM airflow, all while being much quieter than a delta or tornado (and much less annoying than a smartfan2). now i just need a better HS, my volcano 12 doesnt seem like heroic airflow will help much, but i think a swiftech mcx462v would.

the blower on 24v was about as annoying as a 120mm panaflow, and was almost silent at 12v, while still pushing alot of air. i plan on wiring it up so that i have a switch that will select between a 12v and a 24v power source. i tried a couple pots and fan controllers and burned them all up.

korndog

if i mounted the blower directly on top of a sp-94 would it fit inside of an ATX style case?

or honestly, how much room would it stick out?

mounting it on the side would probably look cooler anyway, make it look like its going to take off out my window:beer:

here is what i did with with one of these blowers...

yes, thats duct tape/elect tape holding it in place :rolleyes: (almost as ghetto as Korndog's case cut LOL)

this is mounted on a sp-97 and from the face of the mobo, the whole thing sticks out 6.75" (6 5/8" rounded up)

i have it running off a 24v power adapter from the same place and it is still THE quietest fan in the whole rig.

its cooling a 1800 @ 2556 (12x213) 2.0v (NF7-s bios) 41C idle 49C load (1 hour P95) (still tweaking & only 36 hour TIM)

the fan outlet is about 1/4" too long and 1/4" too wide to fit exact on the HS.

many thanks go out to Hoot (chute), Korndog, and the Fanman (telling ALL to use SP-97/94) :beer: :clap: :beer: :clap:

ps. the side case door fits (3/8" clear) and the side fan (TT smart II) outlets right under the blower intake:D

Attachments

• xtreme ghetto air.jpg
    xtreme ghetto air.jpg
    132.9 KB · Views: 525
Last edited:
LOL, its all about getto tape ducts.
Thats right, 'almost' as ghetto as mine! :p!
but dude, yours looks really cool, almost makes me want to get a heatsink and try it out, nice job!

//edit
btw, you don't necessary need to put it over the heatsink.. you can mount it to the front like i did, and then get some cheap duct from a hardware store to control the flow directly over your heatsink, it'll loose some air flow that way, but this is a powerful (as in max static pressure) fan, so it shouldn't show that much of a difference and all you'll have to hack off is the front of your case which might actually look cool.

ive got my second one in and got it all ready to mount, im waiting on my NF7-s to get here so i know exatly where to cut a whole in the case. after than i gotta build a duct to go from the sidepanel to heatsink. im thinking cardboard and duct tape ;)

after that ill have 170 cfm going over my heatsink

ROFL YOU GUYS ARE HALARIOUS, broke the board, lol, great pictures too, i want to put a pratt and whitney engine in my computer for a fan :)

lol, nice photoshoping.
for the cost of that thing, u could probably get a life time supply of liquid nitrogen :p

Back