• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Open Box Samsung F2 1.5TB $73

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
I know that the Samsung drives do. Both me and cw823 got refurb drives when we bought the F2 1.5tb drives.

As for the other drives I have no clue if they are refurb or simply open box; and am equally clueless as to their warranty status. If they are truly open box then they should have the full warranty. If they are refurb I think its up to the hdd manufacturer.

If anyone buys one of these open box drives please post back the condition and the warranty status.

Sadly I missed the deal on the F2 yesterday as I was working. I even saw them still up but just out of stock :(

I'm tempted by the 1.5tb green but the $5 price premium for, what I consider an inferior drive, is not quite worth it in my book. Especially considering that the 1.5TB F2 seems to show up around once a week or so.

They also had the 2-TB F3EG yesterday @$119 + ship ;)

Last edited:
Just wanted to chime in and say I love my F2 1.5tb also, got it on the fry's deal for 75 new. Save for the funny spin up noise, it's the perfect storage drive.

A word on the WD 1.5tb greens. There are some people who have had issues with severe slowdowns on these drives, maybe it was the early models I'm not sure. My friend bought the WD elements 1.5tb external drive and I have to say that while it's a great deal at $99 (several retailers), it has truly horrible transfer speeds basically capped at 10mb/s write through USB 2.0. I don't see how an enclosure can make that drive so ridiculously slow.

most likely a controller issue on the board that translates sata signals from the drive to usb 2.0 for connection to a computer.

The biggest issue with the 1.5tb wd green is the dropping of tler and dropping out of raid arrays. On top of that they seem to have a higher then average failure rate biased on many forum posts.

I saw a post recently on another forum that likened WD to Sony. By this the poster meant that WD had built up a deservedly great reputation built upon good drives and warranty support in the past. However now they charge a premium for their products that are no longer the best around.

and yes all of my Samsung drives (7x 1.5tb F2 1x 500gb F3) make a strange noise while booting as the motor spins up too. Sadly this is normal for Samsung drives and is one of the biggest complaints I have against them.

Last edited:
Just got mine. They have a recertified sticker, and Samsung says both have a full 3-year (36.5 month) warranty.

came here to post this, just bought two more personally. I had gone down to 8 drives after selling and trading my 4 7200.11 drives to cw823.

BTW the following drives are currently in stock

Seagate LP 1.5tb: $77

Seagate LP 2tb: $134

Samsung F3EG 2tb: $125 (up from $120 last time)

Samsung F2 1.5tb: $73

Edit: also shipping does not scale linearly when you buy more then one. I usually buy two and shipping is only about $2 more then it costs to ship one drive.

Last edited:
Samsung F3EG 1.5tb: $125 (up from $120 last time)

Boo. The ones I got Mon didn't even have a recert sticker on them and had manuals and mounting screws in the clamshell box. I think they were brand new.

I've been researching 2TB drives recently and some guys on the unRAID forum are claiming the Samsung's are reporting impossibly low temps; below ambient. They think they're reporting 5-10*C too low.

Boss, have you noticed anything like this?

Besides this I hear they are awesome, but I'm still a bit torn since all the unRAID guys seem to be stuck on WD Greens.

I've been researching 2TB drives recently and some guys on the unRAID forum are claiming the Samsung's are reporting impossibly low temps; below ambient. They think they're reporting 5-10*C too low.

Boss, have you noticed anything like this?

I see that on all of my models including the 1.5TB. They usually report 18-19C in a 21+ room. Impossible.

Unfortunately I haven't gotten temp sensors working on my raid cards. All that I can tell you is that when I pack 5 on top of each other in 3x 3.5" bays they stay cool to the touch with only a low rpm fan to keep them cool. The 7200.11 drives run substantially hotter and the wd 1.5tb and seagate lp are all about the same running temp as the samsungs from personal experience.

1.5tb f2 back along with some f3 drives

edit: OOS

Last edited:
Back