• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

optimized client question ??

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

ewl2

hey all

I've been pretty out of it for the past 2 months (kids are alot of work :) ), so i am a little late figuring out the whole optimized client thing. Here goes:

1. do i want an optimized boinc_gui and science app, or just the science app?

2. i read in the berkely forum about issues trying to run the optimized science app (4.11) with the current 4.18 wuwu. Anybody figure it out??

thanks

Ed

You should use both optimized boinc_gui and science app for maximum credits :D
I didnt notice any issues with this kind of setup.

I was using that IPP optimized client for a while, but it started crashing. On my linux machines they would report an error with the work unit and then sit idle. On windows machines it would stop with an unhandled exception. I switched to the other FFTW client and it's working well so far.

A great install guide is here.

Only you should download 4.68 from here.

Using an optimized core application will give you better result that not using it. The optimized client and 4.45 for example will give you lest claimed credit that 4.68 :D.

Right now, the only difference between 4.11 and 4.18 will be graphics, the WU will be crunched exactly the same. When BOINC 5 hits the pond, then we will be having two different kinds of WU available, but that is yet to be announced.

I'm a little confused. I'm still using 4.19, can I use 4.68 with 4.19? I did install 4.68 in my boinc folder, but I dont know if it is working correctly with 4.19. I am using 4.11, do these look about right for claimed credit? I've been away for a bit and didnt realize that there have been so many changes.

Over Success Done 4,783.64 11.99 pending
Over Success Done 2,265.58 5.68 pending
Over Success Done 4,778.55 11.98 26.81
Over Success Done 4,279.17 10.73 33.32

Don't use 4.68 without the optimized client. It will report incorrectly the claimed credit- The correct optimion will be the 4.45 (downloadable from the SETI download page with 4.18/4.19.

If you are using 4.11 then you should use 4.68.

If you happend to use SETILogX you will see that in the version used for the core application 4.68 is used. (Tomorrow I can drop a picture of this)

thanks for the help guys....

an FYI, if you are installing thew optimized client and you have 4.18 work units downloaded, you need to add the following to the app_info.xml, other wise it will trash all your current units:

<app>
<name>setiathome</name>
</app>
<file_info>
<name>setiathome_4.18_windows_intelx86.exe</name>
<executable/>
</file_info>
<app_version>
<app_name>setiathome</app_name>
<version_num>418</version_num>
<file_ref>
<file_name>setiathome_4.11_windows_intelx86.exe</file_name>