• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Out of the loop

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Shelnutt2

Overclockers Team Content Editor
Hello everybody! I see even though I have barely posted but once per month for the last 6+ months my average post are still 1.87 per day. Looks like I spammed alot previously :D.

The last year or so has been quite crazy for me, and I've shifted more of my time to mobile devices in general. Should be starting a new job in may, which will give me a lot more free time if things work out as they should. Hopefully that will give me time to get active here again and get started back up with fah and stroll the linux forums.

With that, I've been out of the loop for quite sometime. I've kept up with cpu arches as a whole but not the day to day of the pc world. I need to build a complete new pc, including case for a my relative. Their current machine is a E6300 with a low end nvidia card, and nothing special, running windows XP. Typical machine of 2006 era. The thing is getting long in the tooth and they are running into more issue with it. A fresh windows install will do wonders but I figure at half the parts going on 8 years old, and some others only 4ish (psu and gpu were replaced at some point a few years ago), it is probably time for a upgrade.

The machine is just used for web browsing and word processing. They don't use it for anything else. I haven't picked the exact specs, I'll do that tonight but before I start looking I wanted to make sure there were no problems with going with a an AMD APU A-4000? I was gonna pickup a gigabyte or asus motherboard for it and a Antec or Corsair PSU.

Just want to make sure it's not "Oh no gigabyte sucks these days" or "Corsair PSU's have exploiding caps now!!"

Gigabyte and Asus are the two best motherboard makers currently, IMO.

Corsair is good overall, Seasonic is great, and some others are as well.

An A4 should do fine, or an A6 for a bit of longevity.

Back