• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

overclockers BECAREFULL!!!!!!!

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

ReFuGee DaWG

Registered
i was testing out stuff on my tbird800 today (cutting bridges and connecting others)...... well... later on i turned my computeron and left the room..... came back like 2 hours later to find....................................???

the damn fan for my heatsink UNPLUGGED

now... my computer automatically turns on ICQ, winamp, and ftp program and aother little stuff to help me save time so i wont do it.......

now, my question is... DO 800tbirds get as hot as ppl say they get... and if so... does that mean my heatsink is actually better than i give it credit?

oh... forgot to mention.... my bird is still chirping

peace-out,
ReFuGee DaWG
ULYSSES

"ALWAYS CHECK FANS!!!!!!"

I did the same thing a few months ago with a Cel366@550. MBM showed the CPU temp at 75C, plugged the fan back in... duh! Alas, the chip was never the same again, it soon crapped out at 550 and had to be lowered to 495 to run reliably... Another notch against burn-in!

(or is that burn-Up??) :)

nope.................... running smooth at 864 (max o/c through bios..) but going to reset the default and add dip witched to my mobo.... :)
can't wait...

peace-out,
RefuGee DaWG }>
UOLYSSES

"make sure your fans on connected AND ARE RUNNING!!!" :p

My fan's got a built-in failsafe...
It's a delta 38cfm, so it sounds like a damn train coming through...
If I enter the room and hear nothing, then something's wrong :)
---at least I can get my 700T-Bird up to 867

ReFuGee DaWG (Jan 03, 2001 12:10 a.m.):
now, my question is... DO 800tbirds get as hot as ppl say they get... and if so... does that mean my heatsink is actually better than i give it credit?

Well, due to a rubber pad issue *ahem*, my 1Ghz TBird didn't have a HS on properly.. for, oo, 8 seconds? Then there was this burning smell and then I was on the phone to the supplier the next morning.

So yeah, they get *hot*. =)

Cheers!

I doubt the CPU overheated. Most motherboard will shut down the PC if they do overheat beyond what the max temp is set to in the BIOS, if equipped. Also, those programs you have load up do not really load up a processor. MP3's can be played on a Pentium 90 OK, so I would think the 800mhz TBird if just loafing along playing MP3's, same with ICQ, etc... Now if you had SETI running on loadup, you would have had problems.

if only i knew WHERE the 21.1C temp is comming from (AZ11 mobo) anyone know if its the chipset??

thanx,
ReFuGee DaWG
ULYSSES

before i OCed my tbird i took the fan off my hedgehog the temp only went up to 44C idle the case fans must have been blowing just enough air to keep it cool

Fink (Jan 03, 2001 03:07 a.m.):
I did the same thing a few months ago with a Cel366@550. MBM showed the CPU temp at 75C, plugged the fan back in... duh! Alas, the chip was never the same again, it soon crapped out at 550 and had to be lowered to 495 to run reliably... Another notch against burn-in!

(or is that burn-Up??) :)

burn in doesn't imply that you over heat your cpu that just an expression what it means is running your cpu at 100% at normal temps with slightly higher settings for lets say 24hours and then you increase them a little and run for another 24 hours

any temps over specs is bad

ReFuGee DaWG (Jan 03, 2001 06:53 p.m.):
if only i knew WHERE the 21.1C temp is comming from (AZ11 mobo) anyone know if its the chipset??

thanx,
ReFuGee DaWG
ULYSSES

I believe that sensor is some were in the middle of your mother board it measures ambient case temp ( the air in your case )

This my friends, this is a perfect example of why any overclockers best friends are Motherboard Monitor and ShutDown NOW!!! . These are indispensable tools, and beyond a shadow of a doubt, have saved my narrow *** on several occasions.
If you currently aren't running them, you should have your wife, girlfriend, or always bitchy granny place a well aimed kick to your testicles. :)

Trust me when I say the pain you'd feel from that wouldn't even BEGIN to compare to the pain of toasted hardparts...heh

It seems that we all make these mistakes occasionanlly. I once ran my PIII 550 with the fan unplugged for about 3 DAYS! My machine kept crashing after about 30 mins of running a 3d game and I finally got so mad, I opened my case and realized what it was...hehe. Boy did I ever feel stupid! hahaha

I have a 750 classic slot a, unoverclocked, watercooled, forgot to unplug the water pump and it got up to about 75C (167F), let it cool off overnight (burned my thumb might i add) and it worked like nothing happened

Back