• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Overclocking and Linux

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Bird333

I don't know if this is the proper forum for this, but here goes. Btw, I am new at linux (well sorta, tried before but never managed to use it much). I am trying to install Mandrake 10.1 on a celeron 566 o/c to 850 (voltage bumped up to 1.75 from 1.5). I get to the initial graphical screen where you choose to install/upgrade. After I choose install, a progress bar goes across the screen and then it seems the system crashes. I just get a black screen. The cd-rw drive with the linux disk in it flickers a few times after the screen goes out and then nothing. I really am not sure if it is the cpu or the video card that is flaking out. I would lean toward the cpu/memory, but I remember having problems when I tried to install Mandrake 8 awhile ago with my TNT 16 meg card. I replaced that card with a TNT 2 Ultra 32meg card and LM 8 installed fine. So I figured something was wrong with the card, even though windows ran fine with it. Just as a test, I went through a WinXP install with the TNT 2 card and things went fine. Is there something about Mandrake that doesn't like Nvidia cards? Does LM 'work' the system harder than windows does? What could be the problem here? Here are my system specs.

Abit BX6 motherboard
Celeron 566 CPU O/C to 850 with an Abit Slotket
256 Megs of SDRAM (4 64 meg sticks, one in each available slot)
TNT 2 Ultra 32 meg video card
soundblaster AWE64 ISA card (no speakers connected)
SMC 1211TX NIC 10/100
Western Digital 40 gig ide HD
1.44 3.5" floppy
Lite-On 48x cd-rw

TIA for any thoughts or suggestions.

Last edited:
Personally, I never install an OS from scratch while overclocked. You have too little margin of error for file corruption on the way.

I'd go to default speeds, install, and then overclock after the OS is installed and configured. If you're still experiencing troubles, I'd honestly have no other ideas. The TNT video card has drivers in evey mainstream Linux release for several years back.

As far as correct category goes, I suppose this could go in a couple of places, so I'll let it remain here. If you don't get much more help than what I've given, PM me and I'll move it to another category where you might get more helpful views.

I'm guessing the only reason to machine is running at 850MHz is that you set it to. Try setting it to run at 566 and see if the problem goes away...

I often install the OS on a fully clocked machine, as that is one of the better stability tests. If it won't install windows, the OC wasn't real.

Probably not an OC problem if windows installs ok.I too have had problems with Mandrake linux with sound cards and video cards I had a tnt 1 that would lock up mandrake).
Mandrake doesnt always have the correct drivers and can cause crashes and non functional hardware.
If you have the time and want to really learn linux I recommend Gentoo. www.gentoo.org

Installing it will help you learn ALOT about linux and if you know what hardware you have you can install the correct drivers at kernel compile time and all your hardware will function.

The install guide is excellent and their support forums are second to none.I installed gentoo for the first time and never had to ask a question there just do a search(and I am still a linux noob)
Also the package system and available software are excellent.

edit: I have that same sound card and found the oss sound drivers compiled into the kernel worked the best with it.
I spent hours trying to get it to work under mandrake unsuccessfully.
They may have switched over to alsa drivers by now in the kernel(I couldnt get them to work 8 months ago when I installed but they may have better support now)

Last edited:
Back