• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Overclocking FX-6300

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Fortunesfool

Got home from work today, installed my Hyper 212 and went to work in the bio's. I Disabled Turbo core and all the extra stuff under the advanced tab; Quiet N Cool, C6, whatever else was in there is all set to disabled. I Set LLC to High (Only CPU LLC not CPU_NB). I then set my memory to 1600mhz and set the CPU Multi 20x, I ran prime95 for 20 minutes and was all good. So I went back into bios and upped the multi to 21x Pulled up HW monitor and CPU-Z and ran another P95 Blend test. This time I received this error

[Sat Jan 12 20:25:56 2013]
FATAL ERROR: Rounding was 0.5, expected less than 0.4
Hardware failure detected, consult stress.txt file.

Iv read it is a memory Error or something? Question is, what to do?

All my voltages were left on Auto and they were the exact same while testing both frequencies(1.344-1.356). Not sure how to check the voltage setting on my DRAM other than checking in the Bios, but as far as I know its at like 1.4v something around there. I believe my memory is rated for 1.50v?

SPECS________________________________________________________
AMD FX-6300 @ Hyper 212+ Cooler<push/pull>.
Asus Sabertooth 990FX R2.0
2x8GB Corsair Vengeance DDR3 1600mhz
CM 1000W PSU
Asus GTX 680
HAF 932

1. > More Voltage to the cpu possibly.
2. > Ram voltage set correctly in bios along with ram timings set according to manufacturer specifications.

Pretty much what we need to be able to help very much.

CPU Tab in CPUz from CPUID com
attachment.php

Memory Tab in CPUz from CPUID com
attachment.php

SPD Tab in CPUz from CPUID com
attachment.php

And this is screen capture of HWMonitor (free version) from CPUID com
HWMonitor has been scrolled enough and large enough to show Min/Max of Voltages and includes the CPU CORE TEMPS fully visible.

This capture is made of HWMonitor after it has been open on the desktop logging Min/Max temps and voltages while Prime 95 was running Blend Mode test on all cores for at least 20 mins and then the capture of HWMonitor was made and it shows the Min/Max temps and voltages before P95 Blend was started and while running P95 Blend mode and gives much greater insight into how the system is performing without guessing.

attachment.php

In order to attach screenshots of INDIVIDUAL images as suggested, first crop and capture the images with Snipping Tool found in Windows Accessories or equivalent. Then click on Go Advanced, a button at the bottom of every new post window. Then click on the little paperclip tool at the top of the Advanced post window when it opens. Clicking on the paperclip tool brings up the file browser/upload tool and the rest is fairly obvious.

Like RGone said, we need a little more info to help. When you get errors in Prime95 it means your system is not fully stable, not necessarily that you have a hardware problem. It most likely means your DRAM voltage and/or CPU voltage is too low for your overclock settings.

I dropped the Memory down to 1333 and the test ran a few minutes longer. Maybe its time to up the Vcore and change my RAM back to 1600?

Attachments

• Capture1.PNG
    Capture1.PNG
    35.5 KB · Views: 866
  • Capture2.PNG
    Capture2.PNG
    29.8 KB · Views: 875
  • Capture3.PNG
    Capture3.PNG
    25.6 KB · Views: 863
Your vcore seems to be pretty low. Are you sure you have it set at 1.4v? If so, you have some significant vdroop going on there if your max vcore was 1.356. When I run Prime95 on my AMD FX-8320 at 1.4v I get a max vcore around 1.37-1.38v. Do you have LLC on the highest setting?

I have LLC on high setting, not the Extreme. My Vcore is set to auto, I have yet to manually set it. I was just seeing how far I could get on "Stock volts".

Try LLC on extreme and see if you still get Prime95 errors. My FX is error free at 4.2GHz on stock voltage, but I have LLC on the highest setting.

I turned LLC to extreme and now its running at 1.392v up from the 1.356v when LLC was on "high". I suspect it will pass our 20min test, I letcha know.

Passed the 20min P95 test, so it took .036v to make it stable 1x multi. Im gonna up the multi to 22 now and up the volts by0.36 and see what happens :D

Yea I just set vcore to 1.43ish with the multi at 22 during P95 I hit 60c, got scared and stopped the test..Im gonna drop the volts down a couple notches and see how it goes. weird I set my volts to 1.43 and it ramped up to 1.464 under load lol..Kinda overkill so im gonna back it down a few notches and see where I end up.

Here is what I found to be stable..Even tough the temp got kinda high there for a sec, I feel comfortable with where Im at rite now..I havent tried upping the multi anymore, but when I get back from the store Im going to try and upp it to 22.5 :D I dont think anymore volts will be good for me though, my cooling isnt up too the task.

Attachments

• Capture4.PNG
    Capture4.PNG
    34.3 KB · Views: 900
Once you get done figuring out what voltage your CPU needs for stability at your target speed you will want to look into bus overclocking. I like to run my HTT at 220Mhz on my FX chips. If you use an X11 multiplier for CPU-NB, and HT link that puts them at 2420Mhz, and will OC your RAM to ~1700. You will probably need a bit of voltage tweaking to get the CPU-NB and RAM to be 100% stable at those speeds, but it should not be very much.

Also you should be looking at the Core Temp or Package temp for the CPU in HW Monitor not the motherboard sensor.

Wizzard-
I just upped the CPU multi to 22.5 gonna run a test and see what happens, If im stable here then Im gonna be looking at changing the HT link and the CPU_NB. should I try to set them both at 2400 for now and see how it goes? Also what benchmarks should I grab up to test performance gains once im at a good stable frequency? Also wont raising the volts on anything else increase my CPU core temp? I have about zero room for heat increase lol.

I tried with 22.5 multi and failed P95 real quick..Gonna set it back to 22 then im confused from there? Will I be able to boot windows if I raise the HT link and the CPU NB and dont change the Volts? Im confused where to go from here.

Gonna do another 20min of P95 Blend to just double check temps, I almost put the HT_Link and the CPU_NB speeds to 2400mhz each but then I duno if I need to ajust any other Voltages and if I do what kind of Volt's and what kind of numbers we lookin at? Also how much more will this effect my temp's from current.

There is little to gain from overclocking NB and especially HT on these. To go higher in speed you may have to drop the multi and up the FSB that is the only way I could get it stable. Seems to be the way with these from the reading I have done.
Have mine at 4.56 NB is not quiet 2200, hard to get stable above that but it makes little difference anyway not like the phenemons.

Here is what I have so far.

Attachments

• Capture5.PNG
    Capture5.PNG
    38.3 KB · Views: 866
  • Capture6.PNG
    Capture6.PNG
    31.1 KB · Views: 847
  • 6.PNG
    6.PNG
    35.5 KB · Views: 864
I think I found the sweet spot :) Gonna run P95 over night and Ill report back in the morning..Gonna need some help tuning the rest of the settings tomorrow if anyone is up for helping? Im thinkin to make CPU_NB and HT_LINK both 2400mhz then testing again and seeing what happens, But I honestly dont know where to start from here.

Attachments

• 8.PNG
    8.PNG
    38.1 KB · Views: 840
Back