• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Overclocking [email protected] | Very High Temps | Please Advise

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Kattmandu

I'm new to overclocking and wanted some OC veterans to take a look at my setup and offer some tips/advice/suggestions/etc. I've spent the past few days reading through threads that are specific to my setup and I've also read through some overclocking guides. I've learned a lot but probably just enough to be dangerous. :eek:

I am using IntelBurnTest to stress test and RealTemp to monitor the core temps. I was able to run the stress test for an hour with the setting as shown below but the idle/load temps on the first core were 45C/93C. I've read that the max temp is 100C and most overclockers like to stay below 80C so my temps are a concern to me. I don't have the best cpu cooler; it's a Cooler Master Hyper N520 #RR-920-N520-GP with the fans in a push/pull configuration exhausting out the back. I ordered a Thermalright Venomous-X RT and IC Diamond TIM in hopes to bring those temps down.

Advanced Frequency Settings:
CPU Clock Ratio ................................ [21x]
QPI Link Speed ................................. [x36]
Uncore Frequency ............................... [x17]
>>> Standard Clock Control
Base Clock (BCLK) Control ...................... [Enabled]
BCLK Frequency (MHz) ........................... [200]
PCI Express Frequency (MHz) .................... [101]
>>> Advanced Clock Control
CPU Clock Drive ................................ [800mV]
PCI Express Clock Drive ........................ [900mV]
CPU Clock Skew ................................. [0]
IOH Clock Skew ................................. [0]
>>> Advanced CPU Core Features
Intel(R) Turbo Boost Tech ...................... [Disabled]
CPU Cores Enabled .............................. [All]
CPU Multi Threading ............................ [Disabled]
CPU Enhanced Halt (C1E) ........................ [Disabled]
C3/C6/C7 State Support ......................... [Disabled]
CPU Thermal Monitor ............................ [Auto]
CPU EIST Function .............................. [Disabled]
Bi-Directional PROCHOT ......................... [Enabled]

Advanced Memory Settings:
Extreme Memory Profile (X.M.P.) ................ [Disabled]
System Memory Multiplier (SPD) ................. [8.0]
Performance Enhance ............................ [Turbo]
DRAM Timing Selectable (SPD) ................... [Quick]
>>> Channel A/B/C Standard Timing Control
CAS Latency Time ............................... [6]
tRCD ........................................... [8]
tRP ............................................ [6]
tRAS ........................................... [20]
>>> Channel A/B/C Advanced Timing Control
Command Rate (CMD) ............................. [1]

Advanced Voltage Settings:
>>> CPU
Load Line Calibration .......................... [Level 2]
CPU Vcore ...................................... [1.3875v]
QPI/VTT Voltage 1.150v ......................... [1.355v]
CPU PLL 1.800v ................................. [1.8v]
>>> MCH/ICH
PCIE 1.500v .................................... [1.5v]
QPI PLL 1.100v ................................. [1.1v]
IOH Core 1.100v ................................ [1.2v]
ICH I/O 1.500v ................................. [1.5v]
ICH Core 1.1v .................................. [1.1v]
>>> DRAM
DRAM Voltage 1.500v ............................ [1.64v]
DRAM Termination 0.750v......................... [Auto]
Ch-A Data VRef. 0.750v ......................... [Auto]
Ch-B Data VRef. 0.750v ......................... [Auto]
Ch-C Data VRef. 0.750v ......................... [Auto]
Ch-A Address VRef. 0.750v ...................... [Auto]

Miscellaneous Setting:
Isonchronous Support ........................... [Enabled]
Virtualization Technology ...................... [Disabled]

Last edited:
Your settings are almost exactly the same as mine @ 4 ghz. Try 183 bclk and 23 multiplier. Set QPI to 1.35v. I haven't been on air for quite a while so I don't have idle air temps for you, but what I can tell you is under water I don't get above 30-32c Also check and make sure you applied the thermal paste correctly, and that the cooler is evenly secured on top of the cpu. Those settings may, make it more efficient therefore running cooler. I am not a veteran by any means so definately ask others on here who know a hell of a lot more than me! Those are my settings at 4.2 and with water cooling I can run prime95 for 30 mins and not break 65c. I am also cooled by cold air 30f-35f at night below 32f from outside filtered and ducted into the back of my case running through 4 120mm fans in push pull on my rad.:)

Thanks, rainman. I didn't use the pea size method when I applied the TIM so that may be the problem. That method is something I recently read about in forum threads. I figured if I'm going to go through the hassle of taking off the cpu cooler and re-applying the TIM, I might as well replace the cooler I currently have with a top rated overclocking cpu cooler so that's why I ordered the Venomous-X. That will be my project as soon as it arrives.

BTW, I ran the stress test with 183 bclk, 23 multiplier, 1.375 vcore, and 1.375 qpi/vtt without success. The computer BSOD'd.

Last edited:
Thanks, rainman. I didn't use the pea size method when I applied the TIM so that may be the problem. That method is something I recently read about in forum threads. I figured if I'm going to go through the hassle of taking off the cpu cooler and re-applying the TIM, I might as well replace the cooler I currently have with a top rated overclocking cpu cooler so that's why I ordered the Venomous-X. That will be my project as soon as it arrives.

BTW, I ran the stress test with 183 bclk, 23 multiplier, 1.375 vcore, and 1.375 qpi/vtt without success. The computer BSOD'd.

Ok I am sorry bout the bsod. We are using 2 different mobos. Mine works good with that setting but no 2 chips are alike from what I am told.
What I DO know for a fact is if you are using as5 or compunds similar to that with a metallic base, they have a long cure time to work efficiently as well as not spreading too well alone. With the thicker TIM's, use a credit card or something similar to spread a paper thin layer over the cpu but don't put too much as the metalic base can short out your mobo if it touches the caps or whatever next to it.
These are what I recommend that I found to work the best. All within a degree of each other:
http://indigo-xtreme.com/

http://www.kitguru.net/components/henry-butt/arctic-cooling-mx-4-thermal-paste-review/

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produ...PU+Thermal+Paste+/+Grease-_-Noctua-_-35608008

letme know.:thup:

Edit: The Venemous-x looks awesome! Remember one thing, if the bottom of the cooler is somewhat rough,not perfectly smooth,a friggen micro tad if thats a word! more than usual or my opinion, invest in a lapping kit for the bottom of the cooler. later bro.

Ok I am sorry bout the bsod. We are using 2 different mobos. Mine works good with that setting but no 2 chips are alike from what I am told.
What I DO know for a fact is if you are using as5 or compunds similar to that with a metallic base, they have a long cure time to work efficiently as well as not spreading too well alone. With the thicker TIM's, use a credit card or something similar to spread a paper thin layer over the cpu but don't put too much as the metalic base can short out your mobo if it touches the caps or whatever next to it.
These are what I recommend that I found to work the best. All within a degree of each other:
http://indigo-xtreme.com/

http://www.kitguru.net/components/henry-butt/arctic-cooling-mx-4-thermal-paste-review/

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produ...PU+Thermal+Paste+/+Grease-_-Noctua-_-35608008

letme know.:thup:

Edit: The Venemous-x looks awesome! Remember one thing, if the bottom of the cooler is somewhat rough,not perfectly smooth,a friggen micro tad if thats a word! more than usual or my opinion, invest in a lapping kit for the bottom of the cooler. later bro.

No apologies necessary. I ran that test earlier today before I posted here. BSOD occurred about ten different times. I created a matrix of all the settings that ran stable and which settings caused the BSOD.

The credit card method is the way I applied the Arctic Silver 5 that I currently have between my CPU and cooler. I applied a thin layer of the TIM to the entire top surface of CPU.

Back