• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Overclocking my cpu.

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

ihatejava

Registered
Hey guys, I recently purchased a computer build from a good friend of mine for $50.
It's all in working order, but I am upgrading the GPU as it's pretty outdated.
I am looking to overclock the cpu though, it's an Intel Core 2 Duo, Quad Q6600 (Kentsfield), LGA 775 cpu.
I'm a complete and utter noob when it comes to hardware, btw.

How would one go about overclocking this model cpu?

EDIT: the motherboard in the computer is an MS-7345-040 MSI Intel P35.
(http://www.comx-computers.co.za/computer-store-specifications.php?products=15958)

Last edited:
Thanks for the link Redduc, but I've now run into a problem of my cpu randomly hitting up to 100 degrees celcius.
I have no idea what's wrong it.
It was running at a nice 40 degrees yesterday on a gaming load, I then installed my new GPU (GeForce GTX650), then when I turned it on it jumped up to 75 degrees idle.
I've been through the bios and everything is at default.

What does CPU-Z show as the Vcore when you're seeing 100C, and is it still at the default clock? Also make sure you're using either Core Temp or Real Temp to monitor the core temp's, and that the HSF is still firmly attached.

Last edited:
The VCore I'll let you know once this system restore is finished as I believe it is something to do with the Service Pack I installed.
It's still running at the default clock, and I'm using HWMonitor as well as Core Temp to monitor the temperatures.

HWMonitor I was using just so I could see the temp on my GPU and what % my fans are running at. Core Temp is generally my temperature monitor as it links with AdGadget's CPU Monitor gadget.

The restore is done. Core 0 is running at 102 degrees, and the Core Voltage is 1.304 according to CPU-Z.

Last edited by a moderator:
Use MSI Afterburner to monitor the GPU temp. and fan speeds. You can set it up to load w/ Windows, and also so the temp. is always visible in the tray.

Edit: What does CPU-Z show as the VID of the chip?

The restore is done. Core 0 is running at 102 degrees, and the Core Voltage is 1.304 according to CPU-Z.
Thats about 39C at idle, which isn't too bad depending on the case temp. Put a load on all four cores w/ Prime, and monitor the core temp's and the Vcore.

But this is in celcius, so that is about 200+ Fahrenheit.
Shouldn't I be worried about this?

I've remounted the HSF, reapplied thermal paste, and even changed what HSF I'm using 2-3 times now. And it still runs at 90-100 degrees.

Does anyone else have any ideas as to why my cpu could be running so hot? :\

Last edited by a moderator:
Download and post a pic. of Real Temp, along w/ a pic. of CPU-Z open to the CPU tab. And what's the model of HSF?

If it's the stock HS, then it's very likely it isn't cooling the CPU very well. My C2D would hit 90C+ easy on the stock HS, without any OCing. I'd pick up an aftermarket HS if you're using the stock one.

Back