• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

overclocking old p4 1.8

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Evangelion-01

Hi, i have this old pavilion 751n with a p4 1.8, i dont know know alot about this, but i know that is a socket 478 1.8ghz/256/400/1.75. I know hp pc's cant be overclock so i am willing to buy a new motherboard,heat sink and a bigger case with a bigger PSU. Could some one please help me out with this? i currently dont have money to buy a new pc and i guess making this old pc a little faster would be great. Please help me choosing a motherboard and heatsink to achive this, tia. :cry:

There's no point to trying to OC a Willamette P4. They just don't have a whole lot more than 1.8GHz in them, and you would be throwing money away by selection new components with an eye towards how well they support the use of that (thouroughly obsolete) cpu. You need to save your pennies and build a whole new rig when you can, and live with the HP in the interim.

I'm not all that up to date with Intel technology, but seeing as its a Socket 478 board it may be possible to pop in a P4A. Something like a P4 1.8A or 2.0A would be a little faster and a lot more likely to overclock. However the board itself, if from an OEM computer will be severely limited.

As stated by larva - best bet is a new PC. Socket 478 or LGA775 board; Northwood or Prescott P4; some PC3200 DDR RAM and see if you can salvage the hard drives/cd/dvd drives and perhaps the case from your existing PC.

Might try downloading softFSB and see if you can O/C it a little. You might be able to do 110-112 FSB (although no guarantee) which would give you 2 gig. That might tide you over until you can assemble a new rig.

Evangelion-01 said:
Hi, i have this old pavilion 751n with a p4 1.8, i dont know know alot about this, but i know that is a socket 478 1.8ghz/256/400/1.75. I know hp pc's cant be overclock so i am willing to buy a new motherboard,heat sink and a bigger case with a bigger PSU. Could some one please help me out with this? i currently dont have money to buy a new pc and i guess making this old pc a little faster would be great. Please help me choosing a motherboard and heatsink to achive this, tia. :cry:
If it is a 1.8A it can jump straight to 2400 on stock voltage by using PC2100 Ram and setting the front side bus to 133. I have one Folding protiens two years now at 138FSB 2484mhz. If it is a Willy it can do as high as 2.1 folding. I had my 1.7 Willy at 2125 before I replaced it with the 1.8A Northwood.

Back