• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Overclocking Problem

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

WishingStar

I've got a 2.8C Processor, overclocked to 3.2 ghz. However, i'm experiencing lockups after running anything that requires 3d rendering for an extended period of time.

Can anyone help? or do u need more info?

Okies more info.

I tried running Prime 95 on it... Not good. First time.. Fatal error after 2 minutes. Second time, system crashed about 5 minutes into the test... .ahh what's going on.

Okies... CPU stuff

I'm using the standard heatsink/fan, P4 2.8C, D1 revision, stepping 9. I'overclocked the FSB to 230Mhz. I've got crummy 2.5-4-4-8 generic RAM, FSB:DRAM ratio at 5:4, so the ram is going at 184mhz. The Vcore is at 1.6V and i set the ram voltage to 2.65V. I use a Asus P4C800 Motherboard.

Before it used to boot back to desktop after certain tests or restart. So i changed the voltages and it was fine, however, now the system locks up after i do any strenous task for an extended period of time. I opened the side panel of my case just in case, but i don't think it's a temperature problem since, both motherboard and CPU temperatures are around 30 degrees, and the CPU load temperature is about 51 to 55 degrees.

Plz help....anyone. is that enough info?

It's typical PC3200.. going at 183mhz rite now.

The jump back to desktop and autorestart problems sometimes happen too.

Any ideas.... help!!

Last edited:
do they prime torture test w/Small FFTS ( top choice )

if it lasts longer then its probably your ram...

have you run memtest86 @ those speeds?
id recommend some kingston ram. its pretty cheap and works great.

i ran memtest 86... nothing's wrong.

i followed extreme's advice and upped the vdimm to 2.85 v.

Now for some reason when i boot up my computer i get 2 beeps instead of 1. and.. it locks up even worse.... though it doesn't boot back to desktop or restart anymore.

Back