• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Overclockix 3.4 status

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
Cant wait till this is out :) I'm gonna have to totaly repartition my drive when it does (found out LILO doesnt like OS's at the end of the HDD which is where Linux is on my 80GB...doh)

lol im hoping this will detect my speedtouch usb modem... *crosses fingers*

And I'm test firing the beta CD for the first time in just a couple of minutes. Will let you guys know how close to finished it is in a bit. I'm thinking it's 99% done, but I'll have to see if everything works before I can be sure.

Hmm, well I was hoping it would be ready tonight so I could give it a whirl, but it looks like it wont be :(

Oh well, lets hope for tomorrow :D

Good work so far Arkaine.

It's always nice to see someone interested in helping bring GNU/Linux to the people. :) The Overclockix idea is great.

Found I had all the usual problems- icons in the kicker reverting to defaults, gnome not loading the saved session, some last minute fixes to the custom scripts, old splashscreens loading....

Great work Arkaine. Overclockix is my main OS now I have to use windowz also for work related stuff so i will try and see if i can run windows in wmware instead of dualbooting!

It's really close guys, just be patient. I want to get it up to beta quality at least.

Im sitting on the edge of my seat with my face plastered to the screen. I need my fix soon! lol justin kidding good luck with it take your time make it as good as you possibly can and all of us impacient people will love it even more. :)

abitavenger

On average, I do about 9-15 release candidates before I get something worth putting on the OCix website. Be glad I'm not giving you guys one of these broken releases.

Turns out I had to learn some new tricks for this one in order to setup isolinux instead of syslinux as the method for booting off the CD- otherwise the 2.6 kernel would not be selectable.

I added enlightenment. I still haven't figured out how to load the previous gnome session, so tweaking gnome has not gone anywhere yet since I can't reload the changes I've made.

This first release will have a tweaked KDE, fluxbox, and icewm- but none of those will be quite perfect. I should get those fixed pretty quick and get enlightenment and gnome tweaked up a little too.

I'm uploading a 698MB iso now. It will finish sometime around 9 or 10 PM CST. I'll update the overclockix site with the new link once I'm sure its finished uploading.

This is the official Beta release. I have not conducted thorough testing on it yet, nor added much in the way of documentation. So all day I'll be using it on my desknote and searching for bugs. I'll post back here occaisionally to list off any problems I find so you guys can decide if you want to download it now or wait until tomorrow for me to fix any problems I find.

Bug report-

gnome not starting

default keyboard layout at boot-up still german

kmenu missing entries

have to use sudo su instead of just su in order to become root without entering a password, tried to make an alias in .bashrc to take care of this but its not working

need to change moutnetdrive script to launch a regular terminal instead of a root terminal

possible problems with captive drivers, will remove included drivers in favor of using the captive installer to download them on demand

Looks like it would be wise to wait until tomorrow morning when I can have a fixed iso uploaded.

/me is shivering like a drug addict waiting for his dose... :eek:

We are waiting for it, but I'd rather wait for the fixed iso.

Keep up the good work

Uploading. Corrected all of the above bugs except the su bug.

If you want to su without being prompted for a password, you have to sudo su.

Ran out of blank CD's so I did not test the changes I made.

Last edited:
About 8pm CST, I think. I'll announce it and stick a link on the overclockix page when its done. I'm ready to complain to my ISP for the 20th time for cutting my upload speed in half while doubling my download. I used to be able to upload an iso in less than 6 hours....

Back