• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

P5B Deluxe, Commando or P5W-DH ???

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
xcamarox said:
Once again, just like I thought. I really appreciate your time and knowledge.

One last question, Would I see a 50-60% increase over my current setup:

930D @4.25 w/p5wd-e prem? Is it really worth the extra $500-$600 upgrade?

I promise this is it.

TIA!

Well, I had a Presler 950 @ 4.6Ghz that I used for audio editing. I timed a audio rendering task and the e6600 at stock could nearly do the same job twice as fast.

JPM. said:
Well, I had a Presler 950 @ 4.6Ghz that I used for audio editing. I timed a audio rendering task and the e6600 at stock could nearly do the same job twice as fast.

Wow, I did not know it was that freaking fast in such a processor intensive task. I guess it will fit me well.

PJM thanks a lot for sharing that very useful info, I wanted something like this to justify the expense.

Really, thanks a lot to all you guys for taking the time.

Yeah, Conroes are great. I found my exact results. Not as good as I originally said sorry.
It was "Cubase SX3" and the Presler @ 4.6Ghz rendered a 28 track song with heaps of plugins open down to a single stereo track in 4min05 sec with 80% CPU load. The stock Conroe on the exact same system did it in 2min34sec with 45% CPU load. So it wasn't quite twice as fast but still a good improvement.

But I heard one guy say it really sucked for overclocking...I might go with my OCZ or Geil..

Expect to wait a while for the rebate on the OCZ. I finally did get mine (Unlike some folks)

It took a day to figure out what it was for.

JPM. said:
Yeah, Conroes are great. I found my exact results. Not as good as I originally said sorry.
It was "Cubase SX3" and the Presler @ 4.6Ghz rendered a 28 track song with heaps of plugins open down to a single stereo track in 4min05 sec with 80% CPU load. The stock Conroe on the exact same system did it in 2min34sec with 45% CPU load. So it wasn't quite twice as fast but still a good improvement.

Still pretty impressive...I got the P5B-Dlx, E6600, 2GB GSkill HZ, D9 stuff...Lets see how it works later on today when it gets here...

the only downside about the 965 is the fact that the strap kicks in a 400mhz, meaning you loose performance the moment you hit 401mhz FSB.. and that means you loose massive amounts of bandwidth...

Okay...I've had 3 Commandos and 5 P5W-DH's so I can probably offer some insight. The P5W is more "solid", can't fully describe why. It POSTs easier after a failed OC, but the Commando sometimes needs the RAM pulled. 965 itself is sort of quirky. The 1333 strap which kicks in after 400MHz is significantly slower than the 1066 strap. (booting at 400 and clockgenning up) The Commando clocks memory way better, not even counting the voltage, and having all that voltage in BIOS makes things kinda nice.

Dunno, I can't fully offer any concrete advice...generally I'd lean towards the P5W if you're getting a 6600 or better. Commando otherwise.

thanks a lot for the reply Gautam :)

does it have to be E6600 or above or just 9x multiplier and above? (which would include the E4300 and E4400)?

I'd lean towards a P5W for those also...the 4400's seem like they might turn out to be a notch ahead of the 4300's btw.

Gautam said:
Okay...I've had 3 Commandos and 5 P5W-DH's...
Why so many of the same mobos? Was each one a bit different?

I mean WOW! this is my 2nd P5W DH, but only because I blew my first one up by shorting out some cables after trying to route them in 10F outside temps and they cracked and shorted, frying both my mobo and PSU.

Back