• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Parents need a new computer help!

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Brandensbeast

Hey guys so my parents need a new computer, the budget for strictly the parts and monitor is 600 dollars. It's used for strictly facebook games and i tunes, nothing too demanding haha. So this is the part's list I was thinking.
http://pcpartpicker.com/p/2BMLRB
Case: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16811119299

Whatever is left i'd like to spend on a monitor as they're getting older, i'd like atleast a 24 inch monitor and would prefer a 27 inch monitor for them, 1080p nothing special. Thanks guys.

The board won't fit in that case, you have an mATX board and an mITX case.

Could any of you reccomend a case that you've used yourself or heard good things about? could be a normal tower, just the smaller the better. Would prefer if it had a front facing fan aswell.

Why build custom for your parents and these uses? I would grab a Dell/HP/ASUS something and leave it be... They don't benenfit at all from what DIY will provide.

Probably better off buying a refurbished unit. Typically comes with windows and fully set up for cheaper than you can build one. Some decent g3258 refurbished on newegg for 250$

They don't want to run into the same situation they're in with their mac. That's why they want me to build them one, no prebuilt or anything like that, something with a nice quality power supply and case that can be reused for when they need upgrades.

Thing is, they are disposable. As bob said, you can get a prebuilt for $300.. then in 3 years when its slow, get another. That is going to last longer and be cheaper than any DIY honestly. Not to mention if there are issues, its not on you to fix.

Also, a lot of these can be upgraded. CPU, HDD/SSD, GPU (just need to watch the PSU as you mention - but, they dont game so.....)

First thing, if they're having issues with their Mac (you didn't say that before), they should contact Apple support. The whole purpose in spending the money you do on a Mac is so that if something happens, all they have to do is contact support, and it'll be fixed relatively hassle free.

Second, there is no reason to go custom on a system that's going to spend it's entire life as a web browser and media slave. Heck, I don't think I'd spend $600 on a machine who's life will consist of only that. I'd look for a used/refurbished job for as cheap as possible (this would probably be overkill, even). You can always fresh install Windows to remove the OEM bloat, and you won't find an i3 with Windows in a custom build for $150.

20 minutes in control panel and msconfig gets rid of any bloatware anyway.

If you're insistent on building this yourself, you should really go the Pentium route. For everything listed, a pentium will not only perform better but it will also be cheaper.

Last edited:
Back