• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

PC gamers, pepare to be OWNED!!!!!!

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
OC Noob said:
My only point is that people are acting like console hardware is typically some huge loss and its not. MS lost a bunch of doe because they have to buy PC parts from 3rd parties and thats much less efficient then building and customizing your own system like Nintendo and Sony have done.

I know they don't make much, but they probably pay for themselves in sales over the units life and possibly make a few bucks. People can't translate end user PC part prices into console manufacturing prices. Its just way cheaper for them than it is for us.

I see why people are ****ed about the thread title, but I don't see why people are threatened by consoles to the point they create issues where there are none.

I'm going to assume your comment there was directed at myself. I have no actual, factual figures stating that Sony, M$, and/or Nintendo ever lost money on their hardware. That being said I distinctly remember reading a few years ago in some gaming magazine, stating such.

I haven't the time, nor the drive to research for said figures, but I emplore you to post some of your own showing me where they made money off their hardware sales, instead of just stating that I'm wrong. Which I very well could be, like I said - I just remembered reading years back about this, and to me, common sense would imply it would be a very difficult task to make money when selling a unit for $200, when you couple in all the parts, manufacturing costs, and research/development costs.

OC Noob said:
Yeah and so are high school kids that drive Hondas that sound like lawnmowers (scarce)... wait a second, no they aren't and neither are HDTVs, lol.

i know for a fact there are more fart can hondas than hdtv's where i live...

i have only seen 2 in peoples homes...one was my dads one was a feiend of my dads....my dad is on his seccond HDTV acually.

when he moved he sold his 65" Projection tv and bought a 50" LCD projection tv (wooo big diff i know)

The best way to go is get both. I play Xbox ,PS2 and Pc games.I'm sure I will continue to do the same when the new consoles come out.Although unless pc starts getting more of the games I like then this 6800 might be the last gaming card I buy.

Mr. Chambers said:
I'm going to assume your comment there was directed at myself. I have no actual, factual figures stating that Sony, M$, and/or Nintendo ever lost money on their hardware. That being said I distinctly remember reading a few years ago in some gaming magazine, stating such.

I haven't the time, nor the drive to research for said figures, but I emplore you to post some of your own showing me where they made money off their hardware sales, instead of just stating that I'm wrong. Which I very well could be, like I said - I just remembered reading years back about this, and to me, common sense would imply it would be a very difficult task to make money when selling a unit for $200, when you couple in all the parts, manufacturing costs, and research/development costs.

It was directed at several comments about companies not being able to produce units without them costing ridiculous amounts as well as comments about consoles losing money. This article sums things up very well and I can find business articles that state Sony and Nintendo admit they make money on hardware sales to if you want to read those too. This was before the $149.99 PS2 and $99 GC prices, but I expect to see some info on margins for the new slim PS2 soon.

http://red-mercury.com/mmceo/mmceo_current.html

Heres the estimated costs of Xbox and PS2 since official numbers aren't released to the public:

http://www.xboxsolution.com/printout154.html

"By contrast, Sony is believed to be losing only a small amount of money on the PlayStation 2, which costs an estimated $185 to manufacture. Sony recently began shipping a cost-reduced version of the PS2 with redesigned chips and fewer and smaller components in the box. Microsoft isn't expected to do the same until the fall."

I was hoping to find linkage to the Igiwataki Myomoti (close enough), nintendos head guy saying they make money off hardware sales and as long as they do they will make their own systems (was in an issue of GI where they interviewed him). It was about rumors that nintendo would go software only a year or so ago.

I did find this information from Nintendo though:

"The GameCube does not cost $380 to manufacture; Nintendo is not losing $180 on each system sold. Though Nintendo has not specifically indicated a loss-per-unit number, most estimates are in the $5-$15 range... placing the total manufacturing cost per console around $200. "I think we've indicated that we expect to incur a small loss on the hardware initially...We expect that to turn profitable early next year." - Peter Main at Nintendo's Space World event in August, 2001. In a somewhat dated report by Merrill Lynch in June, 2001, it was estimated that the company would likely lose $20/system which is at the very high end of estimates though the number is almost certainly too high given Main's comments on a breakeven date."

http://www.gamecubicle.com/editorial-gamecube_forbes.htm

Anyway, my point is simply that we can not compare PC prices to console prices. They are much cheaper to produce (compared with us buying parts for our rigs or even MS slapping togather Xboxes).

Niku-Sama said:
i know for a fact there are more fart can hondas than hdtv's where i live...

i have only seen 2 in peoples homes...one was my dads one was a feiend of my dads....my dad is on his seccond HDTV acually.

when he moved he sold his 65" Projection tv and bought a 50" LCD projection tv (wooo big diff i know)

lol, lots of friends and family h(of mine) have them now that most projection TVs come HD ready now.

When I'm out of school, I'll have mine. I would have one know, but I'm not going to half-*** it and settle for 1080i. I want 720p also, like your dads LCD or more probably a DLP big screen. They are SO light weight and its got to be cheap as heck to produce them. They really should drop dramatically in price within the next few years. I can see companies making money and selling 50" DLPs for $500 once HDTV programing becomes mainstream.

Of course, this is just my speculation. Maybe half the 75 pounds those things weigh is gold, but I'm thinking the inards have to be a fraction of the cost (to produce) compared to heavy @SS projection units. We're probably just paying the new tech premium on them at this point.

Last edited:
pc will always rule, its like forever changing hardware. XBOX might be on top for about a couple of months then pc will take over again. Its just a fact of video games. Same as the last release of original XBOX. It was a little faster for about 3 months then the geforce 3 ti 500's came out and athlon 2000+ cpu's and pc were on top again.

back in the day computers werent so on top of things.....granted NES and the computer of the same era ran the same games but the computer couldnt run the games very well with out it slowing down, unless it had a math co processor and even then it would still have some slow downs, nintendo eventually did have some slow downs but not later on untill the early 90's....

and thats the other thing, you can ride a console for alot longer and nintendos probally just now finishing off all the money they made on the NES/Famicom....computers arent that way, you update them more often than you would a console...even if it getting the newest version of Direct X....

but at the same time thats the only thing consoles have going for them

chris64 said:
pc will always rule, its like forever changing hardware. XBOX might be on top for about a couple of months then pc will take over again. Its just a fact of video games. Same as the last release of original XBOX. It was a little faster for about 3 months then the geforce 3 ti 500's came out and athlon 2000+ cpu's and pc were on top again.

See what I mean?

GF4's came out about 3 months after the Xbox did (right?) and the Xbox could never out gfx a Ti500 at its higher resolutions. PS2, Xbox and GC were never ahead of PCs. Although, Halo did look very nice on a TV and was running some pretty advanced DX8 effects, Max Payne @ 1024 x 768 was better. Even with the Seurat-ish optical blending that a TV gets from not having your face pressed against the screen, lol.

Good bye:)

blah blah blah blah, *PC is better!!!!!111!)!!*, blah blah blah blah, *No, consoles are better!!!!00!!!1*, blah blah blah, *No they're not!!001!!1*, blah blah blah blah, *Yes, they r??!!, blah blah blah blah . . .

nuff said.

wow umm....i am speechless

in my world NES is better than my PC because my NES doesent crash

OK guys everyone is forgetting the most basic rule here Games Are designed on PC's First then are translated to consoles language, consoles always use very good Hardware/codeing techniques to render were each console is diffrent!

Each has it's own type of processor/GPU Rendering unit! which effects it's graphics quality ie gamecube's engine has great lighting, Xbox Great Rendering power, ps2 great texture shaders/lighting

Now a Pc Has all of these funtions in one, and the windows coding/ATI and Nvidia GPU's Are so great that PC games can be ran on both types of cards will near identical performance (mentioning that they are the same generation cards) which console's can never prefrom even in the same genration, yes Xbox has the best graphics, but it's controller anit great! PS2 not Very powerfull but it has a great Controller!

PC's will never be pwned by Consoles due to the power of the hardware!, what ever a console can do pc can do better!

I love Direct X?

Niku-Sama said:
wow umm....i am speechless

in my world NES is better than my PC because my NES doesent crash

try spyware,viruses, trojans! take care of your system it will take care of you!

From my experience there are many gamers that go from being a console gamer to a PC gamer. I don't know of people that exclusively played pc games suddenly deciding to go to console games.

Except for a small handful of games, most of my gaming is done on PC.

NCAA Football is console only. Same with fighting games, Wrestling, most RPG's, Legend of Zelda, Smash Brothers, Mario Kart..... ya know... some certain games that only come out to console... that's why I have a console, even though I prefer gaming on my pc.

I spend about the same amount of time with my PC and my Xbox, There are just some games that MUST be played on the PC. I do have a couple FPS for the Xbox, but PC just does them so much better. For the most part I use the Xbox for racing games..it does them great, especially with the controller..the triggers are perfect for games like PGR2 and Forza. I even have my extra controller hooked up to my PC for games such as CMR05 and Moto GP 2...oh and action/adventure type games. As for Console gaming taking over PC gaming..I just dont see that happening anytime soon. Sure Consoles may come out and be a couple of steps ahead in terms of power but it doesnt take long for the PC to catch up and surpass them..I believe both will continue to do well in the next generation.

Consoles are always trying to keep up with pc's i think look at doom 3 and hl2 all pc games, they just look so much better when they come out on pc!

Back