• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Pentium 200 for file server?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Henry Rollins II

I just got back a computer I built back in 96 or 95, dont remember wich, a P200 non-mmx. I sold it to a buddy 1997 and he has had it up until now.

I was thinking to install Linux on it and use it as a file server. Have a highpoint ata 133 controller laying around.

Would this old 200 Mhz with 128 mb RAM be able to do this?

Yeah it should do fine. Just don't try running KDE on it - use text mode only. The biggest isssue is that most P5 chipsets didn't cache more than 64MB of RAM... performance hit ahoy.

I'm using a P133 as a file server in my home, works fine running Mandrake 8.

Mandrake was fairly easy to set up also, I recommend it.

i´m using a 166mmx as flie server, and for nat, hosting, mail server and ftp, and the most funny thnig is that i´m on windows 2000 ,lol

it work fine, maybe some day i put linux on this one

not that much, and it has been up for 7 days so far so... who cares how much it takes to boot right??

believe me it gets the job done

Darkseid said:
i´m using a 166mmx as flie server, and for nat, hosting, mail server and ftp, and the most funny thnig is that i´m on windows 2000 ,lol

it work fine, maybe some day i put linux on this one

believe it or not, windows 2000 runs pretty smooth on slower computers. i find that the lack of fancy graphics makes it a much better deal that any of the other modern os's. this makes it so it is still updated nicely (security and otherwise) and it runs well... i find it's a nice combo.

i put win2000 for a friend and he has a celeron 300a and a voodoo1 too, but... i can`t make the damn card work, if you find the right drivers please help me one this one

Back