• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Pentium 4 SL7L8 3.4ghz EM64T on P5AD2-E Initial Results

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

unixadm

My 3.4F arrived from overclockers.co.uk yesterday and so did the 6800 GT PCIe card. This allowed me enough parts to bench build the system to do some testing. I hoooked up my new Swiftech H20-120 to give it a quick test, along with an older Thermaltake TWV480 power supply and the Kingston PC5400 I ordered.

So basically what I have running on my desk is the P5AD2-E, 3.4F, Swiftech H20-120 w/ LGA 775 holddown, 1gb of Kingston PC5400 in Dual Channel and that Thermaltake 480watt power supply.

The chip is a SL7L8 D0 EM64T enabled processor, week 21 of 2004 from China. So far I'm up to 3,870mhz on the default voltage (1.32 under load). Load temps are between 42-44C. I enabled CPU Lock Free and set the FSB to 276, Memory is at DDR737 at 1.9v (don't know if I needed the extra voltage or not).

So far, results are looking good. This power supply along with the Geforce 6800 is my major constraint because I don't yet have the PCIe power connector so the card is running on the borderline power wise. After a while I lose display but the system is still running. I'm sure the power cable will solve that problem. But so far it's Dual Prime95 stable for over 12 hours since I can RDP into the system and check stuff out.

My 12v rail is approaching the 11.5x range, so there really isn't much left with this current bench PSU. Once I drop this board and chip into my case on Thursday and make use of the PC Power and Cooling 510 Deluxe, I won't have to worry about power issues any longer. I think everyone will like my cooling loop and pump placement in the PC-1200b. So far I'm extremely pleased with everything. This board rocks and with the 925XE I no longer have to worry about FSB restrictions until the 325mhz range which I'll never see so it doesn't matter.

Nice, 276 FSB even with a marginal PSU. Keep us posted, I'm ready to pull the trigger on the an i925XE chipset myself. Let me know where you find a power adapter for your PCI-E vid card. I had to "hotwire" mine. If you want more details how to do this, let me know.

I'm up to 278 on the FSB which is 3.9ghz stock voltage, still running Prime95 no problems and temp is at 41C under load.

I was tempted to just hot wire the darn thing if it didn't work, but for now it's working well enough to get the system into windows. I have 4 packages showing up from Newegg tomorrow. 2 300gb Maxtor 16mb cache hard drives, a X800 XT PE PCIe card and 2 of these PCIe power cables.

I got this one: http://www.newegg.com/app/ViewProductDesc.asp?description=12-154-001&depa=0

Looks well made and matches the rest of my braided components.

One thing when water cooling this board, the copper HSF on the mosfets and the northbridge chipset get HOT. I already have a Thermalright NBC1 that I'll put on the Northbridge. I'm going to mount a 80mm fan on a bracket attached to my PC-1200b to blow over the board and CPU socket area just to keep things cooler. So far this board is really kicking ***.

I'm up to 280mhz on the FSB or 3.92ghz at stock volts now, my 12v rail is down to 11.55! I'm surprised it has held on this long. Still running dual Prime95 with no problems.

I ran SuperPI 1M and got 32S, which was the same time I got with an Athlon 64 at 2.62ghz and DDR500+.

So, where are the benchmarks :p

Looking good, 3.9 on default volts, wonder what she'll do with a little bump up. My pressy at 3.9 + BH5 will do 32 secs as well (non patched version of course), latency doesn't matter so much i guess with higher FSB? That's interesting, would be curious to see what it'll do in other benches ie: 3dmark 2001, pcmark 04, sandra (hint hint :p)

Kind of off-topic, but you can buy a GTo PCI-E for $420 USD there. 900mhz memory clock, but 2 in SLI would still be awesome.

EDIT : 3.92 on stock voltage? That IS insane. I would do it if I had $350 to drop on a cpu.

Last edited:
Well it seems 3.9ghz on stock voltage is dual Prime95 stable. 3.92 was not, but it could be power or the memory and not the CPU. The system began to error in Prime95, have trouble posting and was hard locking. Usually a CPU will error in Prime95, but not hard lock or fail to post. I could be approaching the max DDR speeds for this Kingston. It's hard to tell right now, but I'll narrow things down one at a time starting tomorrow afternoon, with a break to have the feast with the family! :)

Newegg was good to me and my X800 XT PE PCIe card showed up today. I also got the PCI-Express power cables I needed. I got the X800 XT PE as a refurb for $540, but it looks brand new and came with all of the cables and software. I also ordered 2 refurb 6B300S0 Maxtor 300gb SATA drives with 16mb cache and they appear new with 3 years of warranty remaining. These will hold me over for 4-6 months until I switch to the Seagate 400gb drive. I'm not a big Maxtor fan, but they have NCQ support.

I installed WinXP SP2 in no time. This system boots so fast at just 3.7ghz, it's insane. These drives are crazy fast in RAID-1 and RAID-0 (I have 2 volumes).

I ran a baseline at 266x14 with the X800 XT PE at it's default speeds and got a hair over 25k in 3dMark 2001SE. Once I finish my OS build and get the system stable at past 4ghz, I'll get the benchies a flowin.

Tomorrow I'll get everything installed in my case with the PC Power and Cooling 510 Deluxe and hopefully I won't run into any additional power issues.

Wow thats good! Long live intel! How are your load temps so low? And how is it a D0 stepping if it has EMT64? Wasnt that only included in the E0 stepping? Was that the Pentium 4 xxxJ?

Duke3d87 said:
Wow thats good! Long live intel! How are your load temps so low? And how is it a D0 stepping if it has EMT64? Wasnt that only included in the E0 stepping? Was that the Pentium 4 xxxJ?

My load temp is about 44C with the processor at 278x14 for just a hair under 3.9ghz. The vcore load voltage is 1.34 (it varies from 1.32 to 1.34) and idle voltage is indicated as 1.41. The load temp varies depending on the ambient by 2C or so. I'm water cooling with the Swiftech H20-120 kit that uses the MCP-650 pump, MCW6000 Waterblock (I purchased this originally for a A64, but the LGA775 holddown works great) and a 120mm radiator. So far it's working really well. At 3.7x ghz, when the processor was idle the temp matched that of the system temp, which was 32C. So this kit is pretty effective.

When I ordered I thought that as well because of what I read. However after ordering I dug into the Intel SSPEC page and noticed that there was a D0 3.4 with EM64T. At that point I knew it would be the processor that I'd receive. In some ways it's good because I've got the 14x multi that the 3.4 E0 won't have and this CPU is overclocking pretty well. My luck with processors lately has not been good so it's nice to see this CPU doing well.

The J processors are E0 stepping with the Execute Bit disabled and some other enhancements. There are E0 processors with EM64T - but they are not in the retail channels just yet.

I got my board, and watercooling setup installed in the Lian-Li PC-1200b today. I think it worked out pretty well, but I'm going to mount a 120mm fan on the top of the case blowing cool air in and blowing down towards my pump. You can check out a few pics here:

http://www.dmwtech.com/gallery/p5ad2e

I actually got to play some CS Source again and it was nice. I'll start working on overclocking tomorrow. I still have to tidy up the cables some more, but I had to get the system back together so I could log into work and check stuff out (I'm a Sr. Sys Admin).

that looks great! Nice overclock with nice load temps (its actually lower then mine and mind puts out less heat!).

Back