• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Pings from 192.168.XXX.XXX

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Superman53142

I keep getting pings from 192.168.XXX.XXX. I'm running a network but none of the addresses I get pings from are valid. I try to ping them back and sometimes it works, sometimes it doesn't. Here are the addresses:

Anybody know what's going on? I'm on cable modem.

Those are internal IP's are you sure there not being generated from within your network?? have you tryed rebooting everything?

[Oc]acaridans said:
Those are internal IP's are you sure there not being generated from within your network?? have you tryed rebooting everything?

Yeah, I've rebooted and it's a SOHO network, only 2 computers.

Cable networks bridge traffic

You may be seeing traffic from another segment. Internal addresses like 10.* are by agreement. My guess is that you are connected directly to the network with no router in between.

Drop a linksys router in front of your network and this extra traffic should go away.

I am in no way an expert in networking, but those sound a lot like internal network IP addresses. Are you sure your router is secure (like no one has hacked it)? Have you tried changing the router password? I don't know if its possible that someone could in some way set their computer to those internal IP addresses (like a hacker) if they were able to take over your router, but its just an idea. :)

drop black ice defender AND zone alarm on your computer. Those firewalls aren't the greatest, but those too programs will stop about anything(Zone Alarm is superb at keeping things from getting out and BlackIce is the best at keeping things from getting in). Don't know where it is coming from, but I would be wary.

man i woudlnt worry too much about it....since NO computers on teh planet have IPs of 192.*.*.* thats a windows IP that it makes it up.....i have had problems with my cable modem befour that i had to fix....my isp told me to install some driver becuase my IP at the time 24.112.66.246 was chaning into a 192. ip and i was loosing my internet with this small update i did when i lost my ip it woudl change to 0.0.0.0 and then my modem could re update it and my net would come back...so just dont worry about those ips add them to your access list so they do waht they want...but NOT ONE ISP in the world is allowd to give out those IP.s or IPs under 10.*.*.* or 127.*.*.* i know a bit about netowkring going to work toward a certifcation hehe...hopefully this helps u out a bit

I think I figured it out. I have Zone Alarm and have had it since day one. Someone was probably spoofing an internal IP from the WAN (internet). I tried to set a filter to filter out all 192.168.X.X traffic from the WAN but my router doesn't have that capability. I set the filters and it blocked activity from the LAN also, not good. So I had to disable those filters. Anyway, I'm not going to worry, it was only pings and Zone Alarm will keep anything out.

I love this router. It's so much fun to set up the filters. I have it blocking pretty much anything but this is one thing I can't do. That's too bad.

if you fet a program like neotrace ( shareware) you can track the ip and find out the path it took to ping you and if your lucky a general geographic area that its in.

127.0.0.1 = localhost = you

10.*.*.*
172.*.*.*
192.168.*.*
are all NON-ROUTEABLE. This means that any computers with these IPs will not be able to use the internet, because the cable modem will not pass on any communication with them. With cable, you are usually running DHCP, and will be assigned an IP that is routable.

I suggest checking the IPs of the computers you have. If you are using linux or win2k, you can set multiple IPs. If you find another computer on your network has one of the IPs in question, check it for viruses, running ping programs, etc.

su root said:
127.0.0.1 = localhost = you

10.*.*.*
172.*.*.*
192.168.*.*
are all NON-ROUTEABLE. This means that any computers with these IPs will not be able to use the internet, because the cable modem will not pass on any communication with them. With cable, you are usually running DHCP, and will be assigned an IP that is routable.

I suggest checking the IPs of the computers you have. If you are using linux or win2k, you can set multiple IPs. If you find another computer on your network has one of the IPs in question, check it for viruses, running ping programs, etc.

My network consists of two computers. None have viruses or ping programs.

Zone alarm is pretty good, but I find black Ice to be even better at keeping things out. I have BlackIce, ZoneAlarm, and Tiny Personal Firewall running. BlackIce couldn't keep a barn from leaving my computer, but Zone Alarm is excellent at this. Tiny is just a little added protection as it can be a bit pickier, and more of a pain, on what it lets out.

Yes i agree Black Ice and ZoneAlarm are 2 very nice and powerfull programs. Have them too.
I also have VisualRoute. Its a java program that shows you an earth map and can find were the "hacker" is, trought the ip that black ice or zonealarm gets. Very nice program!!!
Still havent found one that can send a message to the "hackers" that are trying to gain acess to my machine!!!
Something like: I know where you are!!!!:D

I dont recall if this is in 98 or not but if it is, on your NIC properties theres an option for browse master, if thats enabled the station will periodically send out a packet looking for the browse master server on the network which may be what you're seeing. If you do have the option, disable it.

FYI those IP's are on your network, should be your other machine using ICS. My secondary machines IP is 192.168.0.80 which it obtains through DHCP from the ICS machine. My ICS NIC in the host is 192.168.0.1

The programs and firewalls arent going to do anything for you, unless your trying to hack yourself from the other machine :D

Last edited:
Back