• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Planning a new home brew watercooling system

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Shadowcat

Newly designed watercooling system

First off, I'm totally new to this community but it looks like things are pretty cool here :)

I am the admin/corunner of www.tehshadowsite.com and I am about to start building a new watercooling system which will be highly documented, there is nothing about it on the site yet but I will put things up soon. This will also be my A-level Design Technology project (I am in the UK).

I was planning to build a high performance 5 1/4" bay unit.. but gradually I realised that the power requirements and efficiency were just not going to work out, not to mention component sizes etc. It even took me 2 weeks to source a suitable pump.. and I was not totally happy with that.

So I have decided to somewhat change my project, I will be posting pics of the design / concepts etc in here as the project goes along.

Whilst browsing the ProForums.. I came upon this link: http://213.221.104.186/pcmax/forum/showthread.php?threadid=12458&perpage=15&pagenumber=88 and it got me thinking. I love the chrome tubing/reservoir ideas etc and I think it would be great to build a watercooling system in that style. However it would be reasonably high performance (not too expensive though) and most importantly (for me) it would look good.

Currently I am planning to develop a unit that will clip on to the back of a case (or could be positioned inside) using the 80mm fan holes that most cases feature. The system would be in 4 parts, 3 however would be a conglomerate and these would be at the back of the case. The waterblock (CPU) would be... where it should be, quick disconnect couplings will come out the back to connect into the pump/rad/res unit (a small unit).

Current styling I am thinking of is this: Black Radiator (with UV reactive fins), black pump case (pump inside a small case bolted to the radiator/fan housing) and a clear reservoir (bolted other side of radiator housing) with UV reactive dye. Connecting them would be chrome effect tubes/quick disconnect attachments.

The pump will probably be 12v, MPC600 looks like the one to go for at the moment...

Anybody have any thoughts/suggestions? Also does anybody know where I can get some chrome effect quick insert couplings in the UK like the ones shown in that forum thread? I'm looking for 3/8" units.

Any help or thoughts are much appreciated!

Last edited:
Definately looks like an interesting project, Bladerunner would be the person to contact about the quick insert couplings in UK, his site is zerofanzone.co.uk I beleve. you should check out his stuff.

Jon

Thanks, I will send him an email..

Initial CAD designs coming soon.....

Also, anybody know of a small radiator that would do well for the job? I have some in mind, just wondering if anybody else knows of something good (small enough to fit on the back of a case easily)

Those black ice micro radiators might work if you use 2.

Jon

Back