• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Please Help **** 2 Video Cards **** One Not Being Detected *** I Can't Solve !!

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

ComputerSecrets

Registered
Hello to all!

I am afraid I am in some dire need of help. Sorry for such a noob question. I am just at my wits end and do not know what do to.

I just purchased a 2nd video card ... https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B012NOWERC

1st Card ) xfx r7950 Ghost Black Edition ( already overclocked ) this "was" sitting in the first slot ... I bought a new because it burned 2 of my monitors when I connected them to this card with a dvi to hdmi cable...

2nd card) is the new purchase the 960 4gb at link provided.

anyways now my new configuration is ...

1st Slot --- New Card

3rd Slot --- Old Card ... xfx r7950 ... now this card is not being detected ... not even on cpuz

Details ...

8 pin connected to the new card on the only power slot,

on the xfx r7950 one out of 2 6 pins are connected at the moment ... bought this cable which should fix that soon ... http://www.ebay.com/itm/231067121288

For now ... Fan is spinning on the xfx card ... but not being detected anywhere ...

Please help what do I do ?? :bang head:bang head

Can I even link to different cards in sli , would it help since the other card is so much older??

ANY HELP IS VERY VERY MUCH APPRECIATED THANK YOU !!!

Well the first issue is you have an nvidia card in the gtx960 and an AMD card with the 7950. The 2 different card types do not play well together.

To enable sli(nvidia only) you need cards from the same series like 2 gtx960s or 2 gtx980s.

For amd crossfire you generally need 2 cards with matching cores but there are a few exceptions.

So with that being said you really cannot use the 2 cards together. If I was you I would run just the 960 and sell the. 7950. Is there a reason you want 2 cards ruining?

on the xfx r7950 one out of 2 6 pins are connected at the moment ... bought this cable which should fix that soon ...
So, you don't have all the power plugged in? I would think that would be it?

Lochekey and EarthDog covered all of the major points:

a) running a combination of AMD + nVidia is generally not a smart choice as the drivers are completely different and can cause weird issues

b) you can't combine (sli/crossfire) the two

c) furthermore, you have to have the power supplying the cards to be sufficient (using all of the plugs) in order for them to work.

Well the first issue is you have an nvidia card in the gtx960 and an AMD card with the 7950. The 2 different card types do not play well together.

To enable sli(nvidia only) you need cards from the same series like 2 gtx960s or 2 gtx980s.

For amd crossfire you generally need 2 cards with matching cores but there are a few exceptions.

So with that being said you really cannot use the 2 cards together. If I was you I would run just the 960 and sell the. 7950. Is there a reason you want 2 cards ruining?

-- Alright you guys are nothing short of awesome!

Do I have to run sli for them both to be working?? Sli will enable them to operate as one...

Can I just have them both break down information individually instead of one.

So I will try the power first if that doesn't work I will sell the item! Thanks!

- - - Updated - - -

Lochekey and EarthDog covered all of the major points:

a) running a combination of AMD + nVidia is generally not a smart choice as the drivers are completely different and can cause weird issues

b) you can't combine (sli/crossfire) the two

c) furthermore, you have to have the power supplying the cards to be sufficient (using all of the plugs) in order for them to work.

I have a 650 crosshair high performance power supply.

I would hope power isn't an issue, I will try getting the cable to finish connecting the power.

Can't graphics card just work simultaneously, For example the cheap 512gb video cards didn't even have sli and you put two of those bad boys together, they will still function and recongnize both ..

I know with sli it will do the same thing and raid on a HD and split the data written.. but two hd's can also co exist. ..

is is the same case with graphics card??

:rain:

There are rules...

1) To crossfair, the gpu's must have the same gcn cores. I.e. you can cross fire a 7950 and an r9 280, but you can not crossfire a 7950 and an r9 290.

2) to sli, you MUST have several things -> the motherboard must have an sli signature, you must use the same exact card (i.e. you must use two 4gb GTX 960's to sli them), and you must have the sli bridge connecting them.

3) The way you have it set up; at best you would only be able to run the gtx 960 on physx, but thats dumb because the 960 is more powerful than the 7950...

4) You cant simply slap two random cards together and "have it work"

No clue why you think raid is a relevant analogy here. It doesn't work the same way at all. You really should return the 7950, as it will simply bring the whole system down. "650 crosshair high perfromance power supply" means absolutely nothing.

And yes, with computers, plugging everything in is mandatory lol.

And why would you try to use the 7950 when it "burned 2 of your monitors" (whatever that means).

Listen to everything the others have told you.

There may be more going on here as well.
How exactly did your old card burn out 2 monitors?

hahaha ashes of the singularity.... I mean... the one game... could be a possibility.........

ok ok. I was grasping at straws lol

I don't think it implements differing GPU technologies yet even though it's DX12 haha

Anyway, op, just use the Nvidia card and sell the AMD.

Back