• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Pls experts, I need of your help for a new Mobo!

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

The Doors

Vesuvius Senior Ocer
I'm planning to go very very soon ;) with a new XP+ box, but I've a dilemma on which Mobo to choose.
I'm considering the new Shuttle AK35, the Abit KR7A or the Epox 8KHA+ coz for me is better to go with a KT266A chipset for the moment, and wait only after the summer for the KT333A, for sure much better of the very soon released KT333!

Do you know if the new Shuttle or the Abit have 1/5 divider like the Epox 8KHA+? coz I don't want unlock the chip, for the moment, or mod the Mobo for higher voltage, like needed on the AK31 v3.1(scared about), so I need to manage higher Fsb (150-170Mhz) and VCore to get Great OC results.
About the Cpu, well, I'm thinking to a XP1500+ or better a XP1600+ preferribly AGOGA and 256Mb of PC2700.

Please, let me know if you need of more detail, and thank you very much for you support ;) Adriano.

One things for sure is that the KT266A chipset does not support the 1/5 or higher divisors. Daniel~'s new forum is a hotbed for the Epox fans/users that say they have had the 1/5 divisor "kick in". All this is speculation. The Epox tech help that they get there never answered my question directly but just offered me a link to a spec sheet that showed their clock generator to have this feature but when prompted to answer with a straight yes or no I was made out to be a rude & abusive member. For the life of me I don't see why. Daniel~'s new forum is a great place & will continue to visit there but will probably not be an active member. The funny thing is that one of the Overclockers.com members emailed Epox to ask about this detail & they flat out said that it did not exist.

Abit KR7A-RAID looks like a great board but I am biased toward them 'cause I have had a great time with their product. The only problem is that there will be a newer revision called the KR7A-RAID133 that will have a new southbridge enabling native support for ATA133 on all IDE controllers. The problem with this is that a new slew of issues might/will crop up with VIAs reputation regarding the 686B bug that had a a lot of creative product users scream in pain. I too have a problem with choosing a MoBo since I just got my ram today for a DDR set up. I wanted the KR7A-RAID then issues with the hp372 controller came up then now a new revision:( so I don't know anymore:eek:

With the Shuttle I do suggest you contact Doctor, one of the Senior members like yourself. He knows everything about this board & there is no better guy to ask info on it.

Do these three MoBo need the 1/5 Divisor? Well they seem to be able to go really high on their FSBs. Epox with its rumored divisor & an option to run the RAM 2/3 of FSB or ABIT with one user here that has reached 400FSB(200MHz) without any aid from a RAM divisor or the all around great performing Shuttles that has been a great bang for the buck. I must be confusing you now sorry.

Onestly just a little ;) J/K
Yes, I'm thinking to the Abit with Ata133-Raid, but is a little expensive, here around 200€ more taxes! or to the Shuttle for the performance/price, but I was very attract by the divider of EpoX.

Hmm.... The KR7A-RAID supports ATA133 when running raid since the HP372 controller supports it BUT if it's not on RAID it only supports ATA100. Are you sure? They have not even begun to market the newer revision yet, it was only a rumor that came from the read me file of the newest BIOS update & no production date has been mentioned. The new VT8233A southbridge will enable support for all 4 IDE controllers. AFAIK the SOLTEK SL75DRV-4 "Purple Haze" is the only board that has been spotted with the new southbridge.

Well, not for me Sonny ;)
After I'll send an E-mail to this dealer asking for more info about, just to be sure, coz if is the right one, well, the price is not so bad :cool:

Back