• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Possible ATI 4870 vs 9800GX2@Legit Reviews

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
Not to mention Nvidia boards have a 50-100$ premium on them over other similiar X48 boards. But as long as their GPU's are the best, people will still buy their boards.

Not to mention Nvidia boards have a 50-100$ premium on them over other similiar X48 boards. But as long as their GPU's are the best, people will still buy their boards.

To be honest, I'd trade 10% performance loss for stability any day. So long as a 4870X2 is significantly faster than a 9800GX2 (+30%) I'm going for it, couldn't care less about the GT200, not expecting performance from Nvidia's new chip to be fantastic for some reason.

To be honest, I'd trade 10% performance loss for stability any day. So long as a 4870X2 is significantly faster than a 9800GX2 (+30%) I'm going for it, couldn't care less about the GT200, not expecting performance from Nvidia's new chip to be fantastic for some reason.

I have exactly the same feeling.

can anyone PROVE a 256bitybus is a limiting factor? i would love to see the tests and why people are so upset a 512 isnt in it, the 38 line didnt need a 512 to beat out the 29 series did it...

and how did ATI let anyone down they never said themselves they would use, or even need a 512bit

then i could see if they did use a 512, people would then complain about price being so high...

well whats more important than overclocking room? I mean the 4xxx series will be cheaper than nvidia's flagship, why not have the overclocking advantage, and become the diamond in the rough.

Remember, overclockers are a barely noticeble market share for ATI day to day sales.. you think they would take "out of the box performence sales" vs "overclockers sales", how many people who will buy these cards do yuou think overclock vs the amount who dont even know what overclocking is and got the card in their latest dell system

not to mention other things like corrupting data, killing ram sticks and other issues with the "i" lines.

can anyone PROVE a 256bitybus is a limiting factor? i would love to see the tests and why people are so upset a 512 isnt in it, the 38 line didnt need a 512 to beat out the 29 series did it...

Remember, overclockers are a barely noticeble market share for ATI day to day sales.. you think they would take "out of the box performence sales" vs "overclockers sales", how many people who will buy these cards do yuou think overclock vs the amount who dont even know what overclocking is and got the card in their latest dell system

A 512bit interface won't be necessary with GDDR5 Ram which is far superior not only much faster than DDR3/DDR4.

There are overclocking options for computer parts in the first place because overclockers don't take up a large chunk of the market share, but they are the most knowledgeable and influential force for the rest of the market. Based upon their recommendations other consumers will buy a certain product. In marketing, Informers (overclockers) are targetted more than Non-Informers (normal consumers) because no amount of advertising can beat word of mouth.

The HD 4870 is supposed to be priced around ~$300, I don't think it'll have a 512bit memory interface.

if it werent for overclocking i wouldn't be getting laid...overclockin has brought me tons of love from the females... =)

and how did ATI let anyone down they never said themselves they would use, or even need a 512bit

then i could see if they did use a 512, people would then complain about price being so high...

not to mention other things like corrupting data, killing ram sticks and other issues with the "i" lines.

nevertheless a market still exists, and I think if ATi were to take advantage they'd reap some strong profit. The 9x00 series from ATi was the ****, out-of-the-box and overclocked.

While it would be awesome if true I will wait for some real reviews.

They probably ran the 9800 with full AA/AF and then the 4870 ran neither LOL

I want to know if it drops to its knee's at high resolution with lots of AA like ATI's current lineup

-1 for nvidia fan boys :screwy:

The benchmark is fake. It is impossible for a 3Gz CPU to achieve such a score. Remember 2 of the 3DMark06 tests are CPU tests.

what are you talking about bro? everyone knows the 3870x2 is a great bencher what makes u think the 4800z wont be better??? another
-1 for nvidia fan boys :screwy:

He is just trolling, and knows that since this is in the ATI section, people will stick up for his 'misguided' point of view since ATI cards lose a bunch of performance with AA enabled at higher resolutions.. Sigh.. With they would do away with the segregation in the GPU sections :)

no trolling my dood heres another link

I've had to remove the link - there may be malware involved, see my post below. -- David

Last edited by a moderator:
Well if those benchmarks are only 10% out I'm getting 2 of those. It's all very well saying "Nvidia GPUs run better with AA on than ATI cards" but it becomes irrelevant when the 780i chipset is the worst chipset I have ever come across. Then there's the display driver crashes.

no trolling my dood heres another link
donotclick.http://www.technewstime.com/hardware-news/amd-4870-roumoured-to-beat-nvidia-9800gx2"]http://www.technewstime.com/hardware-news/amd-4870-roumoured-to-beat-nvidia-9800gx2

That link contains a virus, you might want to check your system if your security isn't up to snuff. Ditto to anyone else who clicked it.

It also shows the tests being run at lower resolutions with no AA enabled. How does that even support your point?

ATI guys, stop calling people Nvidia 'fanboys' just because they don't agree with you. I, and many others, are not fans of EITHER company, we just buy whatever is the fastest at the moment. ATI-tinted goggles lead you to call people fanboys, and that's just juvenile.

Back