• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Possible ATI 4870 vs 9800GX2@Legit Reviews

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
I have a quick comment as I am more of a reader than a poster since I have joined, but "someone" on this thread is notorious for getting involved in these arguments and pointing everyone else out as having trolled the threads. I don't want to "Rat" anyone out though.

Yeah, I venture into the den of iniquity quite often. In the Nvidia section, people keep it civil, even when someone suggests an ATI card for whatever reason. I find the opposite to be true in the ATI section, people get overly defensive of 'their' cards. I don't like it, and I won't back down when people make false statements. ATI guys are usually the ones throwing around the term 'fanboy' when in reality they are the ones acting that way. I try to just keep it civil and stick with the facts, and if that makes me a troll, :)

I'll go back under my bridge now.

I have a quick comment as I am more of a reader than a poster since I have joined, but "someone" on this thread is notorious for getting involved in these arguments and pointing everyone else out as having trolled the threads. I don't want to "Rat" anyone out though.

yeah its because people wanna leave pointless wisecrack comments....its like if all you do is give attitude why are you a member here? but then again not everyone here is 18+yrs of age even if they are they dont act like it.

people cant even make mistakes without someone leaving there 2cents

yeah its because people wanna leave pointless wisecrack comments....its like if all you do is give attitude why are you a member here? but then again not everyone here is 18+yrs of age even if they are they dont act like it.

people cant even make mistakes without someone leaving there 2cents

Ummm... A little vain there, don't believe I was referring to you.

You already decided on 4870X2 before it's even been benched or released? With no idea how it'll stack up to the green team's offering? :screwy:

I won't say I'm going to buy one or the other, but I AM going to buy one.. Or the other.. Whichever is faster..

Well, I have decided on the 4870X2 before it's out, and before Nvidia's solution is out. It's simply because the 780i boards are not reliable, there are so many holes in the BIOS and drivers that I haven't gone a single day without a problem (this is both overclocked and at stock). I'm going to ATI just to have a stable system. It's mainly for the intel chipset, I refuse to buy DDR3 ram because the 790i is the only stable SLI solution that supports 45nm quads.

Before you ask I have tested each component independently.

Well, I have decided on the 4870X2 before it's out, and before Nvidia's solution is out. It's simply because the 780i boards are not reliable, there are so many holes in the BIOS and drivers that I haven't gone a single day without a problem (this is both overclocked and at stock). I'm going to ATI just to have a stable system. It's mainly for the intel chipset, I refuse to buy DDR3 ram because the 790i is the only stable SLI solution that supports 45nm quads.

Before you ask I have tested each component independently.

I have no experience with Nvidia chipsets, and probably wouldn't bother getting one. They seem 'screwy' unless you really want dual high-end video cards. Are you going to be running dual cards? Or do those issues you mentioned apply to running Nvidia cards on Intel chipsets as well?

I have no experience with Nvidia chipsets, and probably wouldn't bother getting one. They seem 'screwy' unless you really want dual high-end video cards. Are you going to be running dual cards? Or do those issues you mentioned apply to running Nvidia cards on Intel chipsets as well?

I ran both my cards (individually of course) on a 965P chipset, the first 8800GT drivers I used had constant display driver crashes, but after an update the problem disappeared. Then I got this board and had endless trouble, apparently it's the way the display driver interacts with the motherboard, causes some error which completely locks up the computer (most of the time even before a BSOD).

It's a shame, because I've essentially wasted money on an unstable setup.

They should start making the number following the "G" or "GT" for Nvidia cores represent the amount of money you will overpay for similar performance to ATI solutions. Nvidia's gonna be raising that gouging index from about 92 to 200 dollars.

They should start making the number following the "G" or "GT" for Nvidia cores represent the amount of money you will overpay for similar performance to ATI solutions. Nvidia's gonna be raising that gouging index from about 92 to 200 dollars.
They don't gouge their prices and ATIs offerings don't even compete with Nvidias older offerings. They may have a horrendous naming scheme going on where a 8800gs gets upgraded to a 9600GTO but Nvidia simply trumps ATI at any price range so quit spreading mis information.

I'm speaking about the top of the line niche of late. That was my main beef with Nvidia when I made my decision between the two. But I like to go for the cost effective high-end if that makes any sense.

They don't gouge their prices and ATIs offerings don't even compete with Nvidias older offerings. They may have a horrendous naming scheme going on where a 8800gs gets upgraded to a 9600GTO but Nvidia simply trumps ATI at any price range so quit spreading mis information.

The 3870 X2 has no competition. Not price/performance wise.

Now wait a minute here.. You accused me of being trollish when it comes to these topics, but you just made a completely bogus statement, and now I'm gonna be the bad guy for responding? So be it.

Dollar for dollar, Nvidia wins. You mention the high end, well, the best ALWAYS comes at a premium out of proportion to the benefits. Now it's not e ven all that bad - you can get a 9800GX2 for $480, and a 3870X2 for $330. That's only about 45% more money for the GX2, and it performs at least 30% better, especially in relevant modern games. When you take away older stuff such as Oblivion which runs fine on almost any modern card above $100, the GX2 just slaughters the competition. I realize you are just trolling, but saying Nvidia is gouging when they are currently winning at all price levels? I can't let that stand..

edit: Oh, neural, you say the 3870X2 has no competition price/performance wise??? How about the 9600GT, 8800GT, 8800GTS, and yes, even the 9800GTX. All are superior values.

edit: Oh, neural, you say the 3870X2 has no competition price/performance wise??? How about the 9600GT, 8800GT, 8800GTS, and yes, even the 9800GTX. All are superior values.

No, at the specific price of the X2, Nvidia has no answer. The 9800GTX does not offer the same performance. The 8800GT's competition is the 3870, it beats it. The 9600GT beats the 3850, the 8800GTS is in a unique position, as is the X2. At one point Ati makes sense, but at all others Nvidia wins.

Sure the cards you mentioned are cheaper, and do offer good performance, but the 3870 X2 has performance comparable (just under) 8800GTs in SLI, I know because I've benched my system against an X2 rig. In Crysis the X2 is nearly as good as my 8800GTs in SLI, it's about 2-3fps below but has a steadier frame rate, my GTs will spike at higher fps.

Something is REALLY confusing me...

There's the 4850, 4870 and 4870X2, they're all 512MB a core, they're all r600 based...

But how can they have GDDR3 on the 50 and GDDR5 on the 70's? GDDR3 would be too slow with a 256-bit interface and GDDR5 is very expensive, but ATi has slated the 4870's price to be $240...

Something is REALLY confusing me...

There's the 4850, 4870 and 4870X2, they're all 512MB a core, they're all r600 based...

But how can they have GDDR3 on the 50 and GDDR5 on the 70's? GDDR3 would be too slow with a 256-bit interface and GDDR5 is very expensive, but ATi has slated the 4870's price to be $240...

I think (in an article linked in this thread IIRC) they show that the 4870s will have GDDR3 at the intro level, and 5 at the high end. Might be a page or 2 back.

I have not posted in this thread but have read it from time to time and must say the amount of thread crap and mud slinging is quite disturbing, going to suggest that this thread is locked up it serves no value added purpose any more.

Back