• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Potential Parts List for Friend's Build

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
Just one question- do you have small hands? They'll come in handy for a small build if you do. Otherwise, just expect to be squeezing your pudgy digits into tight spaces. Still possible to do with big hands.

Shouldn't be too much of a problem.

Shouldn't be too much of a problem.

Oh one other (obvious) thing I didn't mention- you won't be putting any full length M.2 SSDs on an ITX board. The board just doesn't have the space. You can fit a mini M.2 but those are low capacity (for now). If that doesn't matter to you, all the better. Good old SATA 3 SSDs are cheaper and fast enough IMO.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produ...03&cm_re=EVGA_heatsink-_-35-288-003-_-Product

This is the cooler EVGA designed to fit in the Hadron case. It has a ridiculous long part number. EVGA does that...

Oh one other (obvious) thing I didn't mention- you won't be putting any full length M.2 SSDs on an ITX board. The board just doesn't have the space. You can fit a mini M.2 but those are low capacity (for now). If that doesn't matter to you, all the better. Good old SATA 3 SSDs are cheaper and fast enough IMO.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produ...03&cm_re=EVGA_heatsink-_-35-288-003-_-Product

This is the cooler EVGA designed to fit in the Hadron case. It has a ridiculous long part number. EVGA does that...

Haha yeah, both of us are just discovering the amazing jump from HDD to Sata3 SSD, so M.2 isn't a necessary concern. Just happy to move on from HDD. Haha

I thought you might find these helpful.

Here is a build guide for the alternate case I suggested, the FT03 mini

Just to give you an idea of what it's like building in a confined space.

And here's a TERRIBLE video from EVGA showing a build in the Hadron

Ok so here's an updated shot at the build:

He might be able to get Windows at the NEX for less, and I've yet to contact Newegg about shipping, but this build looks promising.
Let me know what you think.
If you know a better version of the gtx770 that's at least 3GB, feel free to chime in!

CPU: Intel Core i5-4690K 3.5GHz Quad-Core Processor ($239.99 @ Newegg)
CPU Cooler: EVGA ACX mITX 46.5 CFM Sleeve Bearing CPU Cooler ($44.99 @ Newegg)
Motherboard: Asus Z97I-PLUS Mini ITX LGA1150 Motherboard ($159.99 @ Newegg)
Memory: G.Skill Ripjaws X Series 8GB (2 x 4GB) DDR3-1600 Memory ($84.99 @ Newegg)
Storage: Crucial MX100 256GB 2.5" Solid State Drive ($114.99 @ Newegg)
Case: EVGA Hadron Mini ITX Tower Case w/500W Power Supply ($159.99)
Operating System: Microsoft Windows 8.1 (32/64-bit) ($119.99)
Other: Intel Slim DVD Drive ($51.99)
Other: Gigabyte GTX770 4GB WindForce 3X ($389.99)
Total: $1366.91

Oh yeah, and for now I kept just the SSD, but I'll see about switching to HDD if the budget shrinks.

Ok so here's an updated shot at the build:

He might be able to get Windows at the NEX for less, and I've yet to contact Newegg about shipping, but this build looks promising.
Let me know what you think.
If you know a better version of the gtx770 that's at least 3GB, feel free to chime in!

CPU: Intel Core i5-4690K 3.5GHz Quad-Core Processor ($239.99 @ Newegg)
CPU Cooler: EVGA ACX mITX 46.5 CFM Sleeve Bearing CPU Cooler ($44.99 @ Newegg)
Motherboard: Asus Z97I-PLUS Mini ITX LGA1150 Motherboard ($159.99 @ Newegg)
Memory: G.Skill Ripjaws X Series 8GB (2 x 4GB) DDR3-1600 Memory ($84.99 @ Newegg)
Storage: Crucial MX100 256GB 2.5" Solid State Drive ($114.99 @ Newegg)
Case: EVGA Hadron Mini ITX Tower Case w/500W Power Supply ($159.99)
Operating System: Microsoft Windows 8.1 (32/64-bit) ($119.99)
Other: Intel Slim DVD Drive ($51.99)
Other: Gigabyte GTX770 4GB WindForce 3X ($389.99)
Total: $1366.91

Oh yeah, and for now I kept just the SSD, but I'll see about switching to HDD if the budget shrinks.

I notice you have no HDD listed there. There are three situations where just a small SSD is enough-

Old people, Internet appliance, and in your dreams. :rofl:

Pop a 1TB WD Caviar Blue in that sucker. Your friend will regret it if you do not.

I notice you have no HDD listed there. There are three situations where just a small SSD is enough-

Old people, Internet appliance, and in your dreams. :rofl:

Pop a 1TB WD Caviar Blue in that sucker. Your friend will regret it if you do not.

Well I see you're in a good mood towards me tonight :(

For almost the same price, better to just bump up to a 500GB SSD than add a HDD. Or just switch over to a good HDD altogether.

Back