• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

problems w/ northwood 2.53 on P4T-E

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

fl0w

So I have a slight problem at the moment. Wasn't sure wether to put this under motherboards or here in processors, so sorry if its wrong.

In my computer right now is a p4 northwood 2.2ghz on a Asus P4T-E mobo. My dad, who never really uses his computer, agreed to let me take his northwood 2.53 proccessor and put it in my comp. I did this switch, booted up my computer, and the proccessor is running at ~1900. So I decide to up the FSB, but the computer wouldnt start. It wouldnt even let me raise it to my old chips speed.

Now I know some motherboards dont support some speeds, but im pretty sure my board can go higher then that, since I've OC'd my current proccessor to about 2450 (unstable with my stock air cooling, but still started).

Anyknow what what I could do? I dont know if it will help, but my chips multiplyer is 22x and my dads chip is only 19x. Thanks for the help

id say its just both of your motherboard only having a 400 fsb and your processor has the higher multiplier, but if your mobo supported a higher fsb your dads chip would run faster.

Your Asus P4T-E mobo is a i850 chipset that uses RDRAM, right? I've never had one of those, but I've had a couple if the Abit TH7-II mobos which are quite similar. I'm assuming you have PC800 RAM? I'll bet the RAM don't like being clocked at PC1066 speeds (133X4X2=1066). Look in the BIOS and see if there is a 3X (or 300) memory setting. If so then that will bring your RAM back into spec at 133 FSB (133X3X2=800).

batboy said:
Your Asus P4T-E mobo is a i850 chipset that uses RDRAM, right?

yes.

Thanks for the advice, I'm gonna try that in a little bit once I switch the chips again.

Its your boards fsbs maxing out at around 400 and its just that your chip happens to have a higher multiplier, so it runs faster

you didnt need to post this, i told you that when i was at your house :p

Yeah but my dads board is the same 400... and its running at 2527 right now (19x133). whatever, my next upgrade once i get money is gonna be a new board and an AMD

fl0w said:
Yeah but my dads board is the same 400... and its running at 2527 right now (19x133). whatever, my next upgrade once i get money is gonna be a new board and an AMD

chosing the sensible path :D

<ducks>

Back