• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Processor stuck on HSF with Thermal Pad

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

jerr0328

I bought a new HSF (to replace the one that came with the computer I've been using). When I tried removing the old HSF, I pulled it out along with the processor (good thing no pins were bent!). I later found out that attached between the processor and the heatsink was a thermal pad. Those require heating (e.g. take off heatsink RIGHT after turning off computer), and I had my computer off for 2 hours before installing it.

So now I have my processor attached to the HSF and I can't remove it (any ways to do it?) and I can't put it back in the socket (its a ZIF Socket 478).

Any suggestion? I already tried the hairdryer...

Hi Jerr

The Hair dryer thing should definately help so don't put that away yet. Very Carefully use a Razor blade placed against the heatsink and slowing work it all the way around the CPU. Take your time no need to rush. Do not pry or use a screwdriver otherwise you will ruin your whole day.

If it is being particularly stubborn dip the blade in Nail Polish remover or alcohol to act as part lubricant and part solvant. If you do this be sure to hold it with the CPU up so nothing drips on your Chip.

I just had to say this part if your going to use the Solvant approach put the hair dryer away since alcohol and Nail Polish Remover are extremely flammable

What about if you turned it? hair dryer on the heat sink and instead of prying it up twisting it? also if you tug on the heatsink enoughf wont it just pop out the socket i know it's risky but i was "just wondering"

OK what about going in the other direction and put it into a sealed baggie Zip-Lock and put in freezer for 30 mins. That should freeze the adheasive and like someone else said GENTLY use a razor blade to remove

Um, im missing the point... why cant you put it back in the socket? pop it in, run it for a while, heck, run it without power for the fan, and it should be faily easy to remove..

B!

Mr_B, you cant pop it back in, the HSF is bigger and goes over the little ZIF handle. I got it off, but the retention module to put the new one in seems to be wrong (came with my Medion computer :( ). Are there any stores that sell it? I don't feel like paying more than $5 for shipping! (The retention module is the black clip thing that surrounds the processor and has pretty much the same dimentions as the HSF.)

jerr0328 said:
I bought a new HSF (to replace the one that came with the computer I've been using). When I tried removing the old HSF, I pulled it out along with the processor (good thing no pins were bent!). I later found out that attached between the processor and the heatsink was a thermal pad. Those require heating (e.g. take off heatsink RIGHT after turning off computer), and I had my computer off for 2 hours before installing it.

So now I have my processor attached to the HSF and I can't remove it (any ways to do it?) and I can't put it back in the socket (its a ZIF Socket 478).

Any suggestion? I already tried the hairdryer...

My friend had the exact same problem. He yanked his cpu right out of the socket! I'd give the hairdryer another go, or try to use some 91% or 99% isopropyl alcohol to dissolve the pad.

Back