• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Project - *** Blackened *** (56k BW)

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
Ok

Day 4

Today i wa sinterested to see if 4Ghz was possible and also do some cleaning up of the mod and a few minor extra things.

Firstly, i decided that i

A. hated to see the paint job all scratched up, so i bought a black painting texta and went over all the scratches with it, which worked great, now you can't see any silver of the case.

B. Shielded/Masked a few more cables on the inside, hide the sata cable behind the pump and zip tied a couple more things in place, so nothing will move.

C. Wanted a bit more of an idustrial look to outside of the case, so i removed all the small screws that hold the top perspex and the side perspex to the case and replaced them with much larger and much stronger screws with big heads.

Has the advantage of making it look nice and providing more gripping force into the perspex, which i was somewhat worried about on the top window.

D. Tried to see how far i could push the PCU, as i thought its the ram, i can't boot at over 240fsb not even 241 with alot of voltage, highest i could see which wasn't stable is 240, yet is 24hr dual prime stable at 238fsb.

That points me right at the ram, the CPU wouldnt behave that way especially with extra cooling, voltage etc... tried a few things but nothing worked. so 4ghz isn't possible but rock solid 3.8 stable is, so im happy with that.

Piccies.

Case inside with some new paint, hidden cables and a few more sleeved cables.

DSCF2185.jpg

Case outside with the larger screws around the top and side perspex.

DSCF2188.jpg

Screenie at 3.85 240 fsb

3.85.jpg

Well thanks to everyone who followed this, which wasn't many :(

this has definently been the most fun i'v had in along time and im stoaked with the rig the way it turned out, shame i couldnt make 4ghz, but oh well **** happens and iv got a nice case and loop for conroe to sit in once it hits stores down under.

^_^

Phrenetical said:
shame i couldnt make 4ghz,

Did you ever go above that 1.48 vcore? If that was my rig I'd pump 1.65 or so into it for some suicide runs, let it go out with a bang since it's not worth a whole lot anymore. But that's just me, if you don't want to risk it stay where you're at. I just see old hardware as a chance to abuse it the way you are afraid to when it's new.

the vcore is 1.51 it seems to fluctuate and undervolt in cpu-z and windows a fair bit

On air it wouldn't boot at the next setting which is 1.5375 ,, i think

I probably should see if i can boot at higher vcore now, though i still think it is the ram, if its rock stable at 3.8 238 and not at 3.84 239 well im looking at the ram or MB.

and yeah i am somewhat afraid to kill this one yet it's my work/play/home business computer, so it is somewhat important. ^_^

i still find it strange that 3.8 is stable and 3.84 isn't though not even for more then a few minutes.

i'd guess ram as well. Could also be mobo.

My rig is dead stable 278fsb (5:4 ratio so ram is running like 224 or the likes). 279 is stable-ish, crashes every 6-7 hours in windows, depending on load. 280 is windows stable for around 30 minutes.

It possibly could be the mobo,

Iv noticed the MB has issues when i use the onboard LAN port i will get crashes when doing network transfers.

Dual prime 24 hrs + stable, copy an mp3 from a pc on my home network, and it will lock up.

So im thinking it could be a southbridge issue, overheating, or maybe just a dodgey chip.

tried upping vcore, same thing, anything above 238 fsb in 1:1 = unstable will just lock up. hmmmm bit weird, my northy would become unstable the further i went, but this stupid prescott just hard locks, rather annoying.

with the 5:4 divider the pc took about 5 minutes to boot instead of like 1-2 so thats out.

anyways...

me too, im surprised how well it worked for masking small two or three wire cable lines, from fans mostly.

works for 2 - 6 small fan cables, just tie ends with a zip tie and your set, no need to pull anything apart. Try and keep the cutting line on the coax straight, its not necessary but is easier to work with if it doesnt rotate or move.

Back