• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

PROS I need your help with a first time new build (GOOD gaming/medium vid edit)

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
I'm confused on the CPU Why the i7 is better than the i5 and and for the graphic card i'm confused on what to do with that and i want to understand why you picked that one out?

Edit; Also what usually is the best GFX card to get?

The main difference between the i5 and the i7 is Hyperthreading. This, to put it simply, puts two pipes to every core instead of just one. So you have 4 cores and 4 "virtual" cores for stuff to use. Most games don't really take advantage of this, but that might change in the future. If you want to go with the i5 to save money, your not losing much.

There's no "good" GPU to get. You get what you can afford. There's "good" GPUs at every price range.

The main difference between the i5 and the i7 is Hyperthreading. This, to put it simply, puts two pipes to every core instead of just one. So you have 4 cores and 4 "virtual" cores for stuff to use. Most games don't really take advantage of this, but that might change in the future. If you want to go with the i5 to save money, your not losing much.

There's no "good" GPU to get. You get what you can afford. There's "good" GPUs at every price range.

+1

You mentioned editing and streaming/recording. The i7 will help your system a bit more than the i5 with these tasks. But the i5 is no slouch either; if you want to save 100 bucks, then stick with the i5.

Okay you both bought me and made me understand lets go with the i7! This one?

okay so now on the GPU! I'm looking for something that can put BTF3 with ultra quality and then most games would be great! Also when i record with fraps or anything like that i can still play 50 or above 30 FPS Any thougths on this and why you would go with what you recommended?

Alright, your ram is good 16gb. Now... Your motherboard and cpu... For recording videos you want the i7 3770k as it performs better. Your going to want to overclock it as well in order to get maximum fps while recording, for that you need a beefier motherboard. Hard drives, your going to want either a 256gb solid state to run your games or your going to want 2 Western Digital Black 2tb/1tb or Seagate
Barracudas. I'm also into playing games, message me if you ever want someone to play with.
Also for that little bit of ooomph to let you play any game you want highest settings I would go for a 670 or 7970. Hope all goes well. :thup:

I suggest you take knufires advice. Don't be childish about it either. The 7970 is well superior to a 670. Faster by default in general and over clocks way better with more vram. I see little reason not to buy it over a 670.

I suggest you take knufires advice. Don't be childish about it either. The 7970 is well superior to a 670. Faster by default in general and over clocks way better with more vram. I see little reason not to buy it over a 670.

Personally I play Borderlands 2 a bunch with friends and man I gotta tell ya, PhysX are freaking great with that game. I'm not saying to take the 670 over the 7970, but I personally would.

Okay now that i have my rig going into my joint ;p i need something to blow it out with what kind of fans Should i have? i'm going with this case kinda want it to look sexy and quality and kinda cheap d:

EDIT: Also guys a little tug and pull to be fun around here is kinda awesome! But on the serious side you guys are awesome for helping me i have a better understanding about all this information and its been great! Almost finished here

Okay now that i have my rig going into my joint ;p i need something to blow it out with what kind of fans Should i have? i'm going with this case kinda want it to look sexy and quality and kinda cheap d:

EDIT: Also guys a little tug and pull to be fun around here is kinda awesome! But on the serious side you guys are awesome for helping me i have a better understanding about all this information and its been great! Almost finished here

You could get high rpm yate loons, they push a lot of air. Unfortunately that's about all they're good for. If you are using air filters that aren't quite top grade maybe get some cougar vortex, they have good cfm and can pull air through the restrictions just fine.

You could get high rpm yate loons, they push a lot of air. Unfortunately that's about all they're good for. If you are using air filters that aren't quite top grade maybe get some cougar vortex, they have good cfm and can pull air through the restrictions just fine.

Bro your talking to a No0b remember i have no idea what all that means my line of expertise is console and i'm just been born on the computer gaming and PC stuff So links and explaintion are better for me to understand Oh and LEDs turn me on! ;p

Bro your talking to a No0b remember i have no idea what all that means my line of expertise is console and i'm just been born on the computer gaming and PC stuff So links and explaintion are better for me to understand Oh and LEDs turn me on! ;p

:rain:You can have LEDs or performance, usually not both. Keep that in mind.
Let me explain you fans and the different things that affect them.
Fans have a rpm, rotations per minute, dba - noise level, static pressure - ability to push air through a restriction, Cfm - the amount of air the fan can push. Those are the key elements to choosing fans.
To choose a fan you need to first set a noise level of which you want, 40db is loud. If anybody knows the link to the dba chart put it on here, thanks. Static pressure is more for pulling air through restrictions such as a radiator or a let's say cotton fan filter. The higher the static pressure the more air you are going to get pulling through such restrictions. Cfm is the amount of air the fan pushes, the higher the better.

Wait i usally just can insatll leds in the case to make it turn me on right? so i'll get some good performance and then alter just add some Leds around the window right?

Also can you show me some good performance fans for this case possible?

Back