• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Prove that my friend is a horrible liar. [p3 450 -> 1.2 no cooling?]

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

DamienKC

Hi.

A friend of mine has a tendency to lie alot, but he claims that he overclocked a 450mhz p3 to 1.2, got into windows with 1 fan, no other cooling

wtf its damien: how fast was the p3 you got to 1.2?
wtf its damien: lol.
Devil0n: PIII 450.
wtf its damien: and overclocked to how fast with what cooling?
Devil0n: Do I need to find my friends that were there in my votech class?
Devil0n: Do you need to go talk to my teacher?
Devil0n: Did I say that it ran stable for 4 million hours like your [deleted for profanity :p] processors with 4000 fans?
wtf its damien: just answer it
Devil0n: Or did I say that it [also edited by me] booted?
Devil0n: 1.2
wtf its damien: lol
wtf its damien: yeah
wtf its damien: you said it got into windows
Devil0n: it did
wtf its damien: ok
wtf its damien: so it booted
Devil0n: made it to the desktop
wtf its damien: lol
wtf its damien: with what cooling
Devil0n: none.
wtf its damien: in seriousness, what cooling
Devil0n: in seriousness, NONE
Devil0n: wait
Devil0n: 1 fan
Devil0n: not sure what kind
wtf its damien: no heatsink at all huh
Devil0n: a small one, nothing too huge or anything
wtf its damien: you said 1 fan.
Devil0n: I'm talking extra cooling, there was none
wtf its damien: it's not extra...it's required
Devil0n: umm
Devil0n: 1 EXTRA fan
wtf its damien: it would have burnt up
wtf its damien: ok, 1 fan doesn't do the power of a vapochill
Devil0n: yeah
Devil0n: I know this

Please kindly explain in this thread that this is impossible.

Last edited:
I'm gonna call BS on this one. I dont thing there is any way to do that with the cooling he said he used. Even in a Vapochill system, it would be near impossible.

BS

1.2 was possible for my 633 Celeron due to 66 mhz stock fsb.
For the P3 it would mean he almost tripled the FSB, need I say more ? Check the oc database.

I checked the CPU database, there were several P-III 450's in the 700 MHz range and the max was 720. Even 700 for a 450 P-III is amazing, so yes, 1.2 gig is obviously BS.

The P-III 450 had the 0.25 micron Katamai core which were not known to be great overclockers. The Coppermine flip-chip P-III that followed were the good overclockers.

LOL
There's no way I can explain, to someone with a Katmai PIII that claims it did 1.2GHz, that it's not going to happen....EVER!!

Ask your friend if he was dreaming, or if he smoked something he shouldn't?

@ Kuroimaho Also keep in mind that the 633 Celeron had a Coppermine core, there's no way any CPU with a Katmai core will do 1.2GHz.

Ask him about FSB/Multi settings.

Utter BS.

I wrote that was the first P3 ever, I know it was slot 1 katmai and had different core than the celeron. I thought ppl are aware of it here so the older p3 core has no chance reaching that speed.

If you check my post I wrote that guy should run his mobo on almost 300 FSB unlikely isn't it ?
So not just the cpu isn't able to reach that speed but the mobo neither.

Well, a 450 P-III at 1.2 gig is 266 FSB. That means the PCI bus would be 66 MHz which is twice normal default. Personally, I've never been able to run the PCI above 40 MHz. Yes, it's BS.

A little more logic to puzzle over:

The PIII 450's were a 22W Slot-1 processor running on 2.0v volts. They had an unlocked multiplier, but only understood multi's up to 5.5x. In order for his machine to hit 1.2ghz on a 5.5x multiplier, he'd need a front side bus of 218mhz.

Besides the fact that the fastest PIII motherboard I can find stops at like 166FSB, the other problem is that ram of that era ran synchronously (168-pin SDRAM DIMMs). The fastest 168-pin stuff I know of is PC-150, which could sometimes stretch to 160 with some voltage modification, loose timings and a lot of luck.

But to hit 218FSB, you'd also need "PC-220" 168-pin SDRAM DIMMs; nothing like this has ever existed nor would.

Further, the old 450's needed a pretty good amount of coaxing to even hit 504mhz (112 FSB). I had to run mine at 2.2v (10% above stock) to get it stable at 504, and I ran it at 20% above stock (2.4v) to get it to boot at 558 (124FSB, still wasn't stable tho).

But let's say he got uber lucky and ran it at 2.5 volts and 1.2ghz; you can imagine the chip would need at least triple the amperage versus stock. So your ~35W rated power regulation equipment on most old Slot-1 PIII motherboards is going to need to crank out about 67W just to get started. Even if you kept the processor from melting, you'd need to do something to keep the power regulation equipment on the motherboard from catching fire too. We're talking about P4-levels of power draw on a single-MOSFET single phased regulation unit -- instantaneous death :)

Due to memory speed limits, motherboard speed limits, multiplier limits, voltage limits and power draw limits, this story is certified 100% bull****. :)

Kuroimaho said:
I wrote that was the first P3 ever, I know it was slot 1 katmai and had different core than the celeron. I thought ppl are aware of it here so the older p3 core has no chance reaching that speed.
I was just making things clear for Devil0n.

Albuquerque said:
Besides the fact that the fastest PIII motherboard I can find stops at like 166FSB
The Gigabyte GA-60XET stops at 200MHz FSB, but it's a S370 MOBO.

Albuquerque said:
The fastest 168-pin stuff I know of is PC-150, which could sometimes stretch to 160 with some voltage modification, loose timings and a lot of luck.
I have 2 256MB PC150 sticks (with 7ns chips) that both do 164MHz 2-2-2 7/9 w/o volt mod!!! And I know that they've made better stuff with 6ns chips that did 170 2-2-2, I didn't even bother to test the sticks seperatly as I'm pretty sure my CPU is holding me back.

now he says that he did it in some class and they were meant to be fried...but I explained (to what I know) that it wouldn't boot if it were that high, so it's still not possible.

I'm sure either he claims he doesn't have it anymore, or this is someone who is far enough away to not worry much about physically being able to prove it to you. In either case I doubt your going to get him to fess up on the obvious, so I'd just humor him and shut up about it not being for real. You know it's fake and you probably aren't trying to overclock a katamai at this time, so his story doesn't really matter for anything your trying to do. Why work yourself up about trying to prove him wrong after he now knows it more than likely. If someone lies for attention, take away the attention. The problem generally solves itself after that.

batboy said:
I checked the CPU database, there were several P-III 450's in the 700 MHz range and the max was 720. Even 700 for a 450 P-III is amazing, so yes, 1.2 gig is obviously BS.

I agree with Batboy, and Batboy knows a lot more about this than most (especially me) ;)

PS Here's a link to the Database (Your friend is full of BS! Some of the people in the database were using Mc1000 Peltier cooling and some watercooling, so your friend using a air cooled or passive cooling method is unlikely to obtain any more than 700, my guess is he probably got around 675 at the most.)

http://www.cpudatabase.com/CPUdb/Showdata.cfm

lmao... I think hes confusing his p3 for the Grill that he cooks on at McDonalds. And that Bs you is the only gratification he can get in his lif. Lol

I have more experience with PIII's then any other cpu.
The only way this happened is if he originally had the FSB set wrong on a Tualatin. Coppermines do get to 1.2, but it takes a lot of effort. The one Coppermine that was officially released at that speed was not exactly a favorite in the community.

The no cooling statement is a completly different matter. The only way this is possible would be that he took a VIA C3 or Pentium M. Took a sharpy and wrote PIII on the core, then underclocked them to 1.2 . Even then the no cooling is a huge stretch, because even those CPUs need more then passive cooling at those speeds.

So yes, BS.

There are a few other possibilities, a crappy BIOS (My BIOS shows my Celeron 1.2 as a PII 1200), or maybe he had a MOBO that would let him change the multiplier in BIOS even if the CPU is locked, which may result in reporting a wrong speed during POST.

Back