• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Prove that my friend is a horrible liar. [p3 450 -> 1.2 no cooling?]

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
KILLorBE said:
There are a few other possibilities, a crappy BIOS (My BIOS shows my Celeron 1.2 as a PII 1200), or maybe he had a MOBO that would let him change the multiplier in BIOS even if the CPU is locked, which may result in reporting a wrong speed during POST.

I had an old slot 1 board about of the vintage this guy would be using that would do that. It's possible.

@sam- it wouldn't have even gotten 675 without some extreme cooling on more than just the CPU. I had a PII 450 (not a PIII 450) and it was a dog to overclock. I doubt he'd even have been able to get to 524 with the stock cooler.

You'll get another BS vote from me, as like some of the others around here, these Katmai/Coppermine/Tualatin PIIIs are the CPUs I know best.

I'd have to agree.

This is total
bs.gif

-Sam

BS for sure. Katmai cores top out at around 600, or 700 if you get some heatsinks on (or disable) the L2 cache chips.

Back