• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Push/Pull for Hyper 212

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

fmkenner

I have a Cooler Master Hyper 212 plus and want to get another fan for push/pull cooling. Now do I need to get some kind of dual fan or what. I have a set of pins(3) by the CPU labeled CPU fan, and about an inch away is another set of pins(3) that isnt labeled. Is this for the other fan? A little advise to set it up is greatly appreciated.
Thanks.
Fred

Not to hijack the thread, but fan should be bought to add to the hyper 212 because I'm wanting to do the push / pull configuration as well. Also, the fan that came with my hyper 212 was the 'fan bracket' version (it didn't come with the metal clips to clip the fan onto the cooler - the fan is designed to just pop on and off).

Not to hijack the thread, but fan should be bought to add to the hyper 212 because I'm wanting to do the push / pull configuration as well. Also, the fan that came with my hyper 212 was the 'fan bracket' version (it didn't come with the metal clips to clip the fan onto the cooler - the fan is designed to just pop on and off).

Yes I know I need to buy the fan, its that I'm uncertain how it plugs into the MB. Is there a splice to the wires that connect to the MB, or is the unlabeled pins where it plugs into. Hate to burn something up by plugging it in the wrong place. I'm not sure what you mean by 'fan bracket' version. Mine did clip on, and I think it came with another set for push/pull.

Yes I know I need to buy the fan, its that I'm uncertain how it plugs into the MB. Is there a splice to the wires that connect to the MB, or is the unlabeled pins where it plugs into. Hate to burn something up by plugging it in the wrong place. I'm not sure what you mean by 'fan bracket' version. Mine did clip on, and I think it came with another set for push/pull.

Sorry for the confusion, I was simply stating that I'm in a similar situation as you are. I want to buy another fan for the hyper 212+ for push / pull, but I'm uncertain which fan to buy. My hyper 212 did not come with metal clips to clip the fan to the cooler; instead, the stock fan that came with my hyper 212 is designed in such a way that it clips on to the cooler with out the need of metal clips.

Is this the board? It's the one in your sig but doesn't seem to match your description.

u_10713634.jpg

But it shouldn't be a problem. As long as you buy a 3 pin fan it will spin just fine when you plug it into a 3 pin fan header.

Is this the board? It's the one in your sig but doesn't seem to match your description.

u_10713634.jpg

But it shouldn't be a problem. As long as you buy a 3 pin fan it will spin just fine when you plug it into a 3 pin fan header.

Yes thats mine. Right at the edge of the blue heat sinks is a white plug, its labeled on the board CPU fan. Now to the left right under Digi+ VRM is another plug in but its not labeled. I'm guessing it may be for a fan but I don't want to be wrong.

that one is not the same type. Use the white plug that is just next to the PCI-E 1x slot (the very top slot) (just left of the VRM heatsinks)

I believe it says CHA_fan1

there also another one just past the RAM slots called PWR_Fan which can be used by the PSU but doesn't need to be.

Ok gotcha. That pin by the PCI-E slot I'm not using. What are those unlabeled pins by the CPU?

The black ones next to the other fan header? I'm not sure, you will have to consult your manual, it should be in there.

Don't be surprised to find that adding a second fan gets you no more than a 1c improvement in cooling. And probably less than that.

If thats all I get I'm wondering if stepping up abit and getting a water cooling unit would be better. If you were me, just learning to overclock, would you step it up with my set up?

ETA: I been looking at the Corsiar H80 and H100. Both get good reviews here, seems like an easy option for OCing without worries.

Last edited:
I think you will get more than a 1C difference, if you are just learning to overclock you will be fine with your Hyper, I don't see much reason for you to get rid of it unless you were pushing high voltage through the chip and your temps were in a dangerous range (85C+) under 100% load

I switched fans on my hyper 212 to 2 scythe ultra kase fans push/pull and my temps dropped 7 degrees. You just need a couple more powerful fans. They are kinda loud but it gets the job done.

Don't be surprised to find that adding a second fan gets you no more than a 1c improvement in cooling. And probably less than that.

I'm agree with this...

but if you still want to add another fan for the cpu cooling and think about grabbing the PWM type,
make sure to get the PWM "Y" splitter to synchronized the fan speed

Hey guys i just got the Hyper 212 a few days ago, and my temps are still the same...............38-45 C on Idle, sometimes lower, and WoW on full graphics about 48-52 C. I used to have a Zalman 9900. Am i doing something wrong here?

Back