• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Putting a hole in the plastic window...

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Parkest

Is there anyway to put a nice and neat hole in the plastic window for an extra fan?? I'm scared that if I try to drill it, that the plastic will crack, and then the whole window would look terrible. I appreciate the help.

well firs, whenever i cut or drill thru something fragile like plexiglass, i always cover it in 2 layers of masking tape to keep it from scratches and cracks, then if u do drill, keep it on a medium torque setting and drill like at a low speed, too fast, itll melt (lok bad), just be careful and dont try to rush thru it or just get it over with, plan things out, ull be happy u did, i know on a bunch of my mods, i just drew some lines, not even thinking to measure them out and ruin a case

remember, cut twice, measure once, ermm oops i mean measure twice cut once :D

Yes...if you are using acrylic (not lexan) you have to be a bit more careful. As said above, take it slowly, and don't press too hard or you'll end up with more than 1 sheet of plexi in the end.

I used a 4.5" bi-metal snap-on hole saw to do my side window fan and it worked perfectly. Just go slow.

I've heard of people running saws (in this case a hole saw) backwards to cut acrylic because it chips the plastic a lot less.

There's a funny hole saw with a cutter (like a wood turning blade) attached to the end of on the end of an adjustable arm that goes over a 1/4" or so drill bit. It seems to cut more neatly than anything but could be limited to less than 3". Sears used to have it in their tool catalog.

Why not just make a CPU duct for the back of the case out of polypropylene welded together with a soldering iron (can't glue it)?

you could also use a jigsaw f wanted to cut the hole becasue dremals aren't that good in making curved lines, but a combo of a hole saw and a drill press is probably the best way to make the hole

Well look to spend around 15-20 bucks for a hole saw. You might be able to find them cheaper, but you usually have to buy the arbor too (which is usually 5-10).

I be doing the same thing soon to my case. Any other suggestions/problems you've ran into? Also, anyone know what size to use for a 120mm fan?

I'm only guessing here but would a 92mm be 3 3/4? What size would it be any ways? I have a metal side case and would love to cut some holes in it to increase air flowage!

Thanks,
~PCTech

A hole saw will work just fine but you might want to keep a piece of plywood under the window so it dont crack or break on you. Oh and there is a ton of threads asking the same question you did. Try using the search first the next time cause more then likely you will find an answer to your questions.

i should have taken my time when i drilled a hole for my custom power switch, but i didn't and it cracked... here are the things i will do next time, 1) use SHARP bit/hole saw, 2) use atleast 3 layers of masking tape on both sides, 3) go SLOW, take your time!

Back