• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

PWM Splitters - are they harmful?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

yoadknux

Hi,

Is it safe to place a Y PWM splitter on an AIO?

I own an NZXT Kraken X41 AIO Cooler. What makes this AIO unique is it has a built-in PWM fan controller. It has two PWM connectors for fans. However, I wanted it to control 3 fans and not 2, so on one of the PWM connectors I placed a PWM Y splitter.

I currently have the following fans connected to the AIO headers: 2x Noctua NF-A14 (Max 1500 RPM, 0.13A @ 12V) and 1x Be Quiet! Silent Wings 2 92mm (Max 2000 RPM, no data about current).

The AIO draws power from a 3 pin connector. I connected it to directly to the PSU with a 3 pin->Molex connector, since I figured it needs to draw enough current for the pump and the fans.

Is it safe to use a PWM splitter in this manner, or could it possibly draw too much power and damage the fans/header?

Thanks!

As it is plugged directly into the PSU, I don't think the overall power should be an issue. In terms of power I would be surprised if it is a problem, however it would depend on how much current the PWM header on the built-in PWM fan controller is rated for and how much the fans draw. A quick message to NZXT may provide you with the answer to the first question, and the second you can probably find on Google.

As it is plugged directly into the PSU, I don't think the overall power should be an issue. In terms of power I would be surprised if it is a problem, however it would depend on how much current the PWM header on the built-in PWM fan controller is rated for and how much the fans draw. A quick message to NZXT may provide you with the answer to the first question, and the second you can probably find on Google.
Yeah, that's what I thought. Contacting NZXT is a good idea, thanks. Is 0.13A considered much for a fan?

Back